Oak ? Door threshold, renovated with wax or varnish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating a 70s house

Is this bold?

so, wood internal threshold, ive sanded. Other thread says Danish or teak oil rather than varnish, does that seem right?
carpet is being fitted next Wednesday, so had better decide quickpic attached

IMG-20230330-WA0003.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I used no nonsense danish oil from screwfix on mine but it was a much lighter oak (not sure yours is oak?). Personally I would get rid of it and fit a metal joint piece.

No, no, no.
Keep them, they're beautiful.
I reproduced them in my house.
I used floor varnish and in high traffic area it needs a quick sand and a couple of coats every 5/6 years to be at its best.
The others have never been recoated.

Sponsored Links
I've used Liberon Teak oil for years. It is super easy to apply and lasts really well. I also put 9 coats on a sanded teak parquet floor in the hall of a commercial premises that I maintain as a volunteer in 2019 and it hasn't been refinished since and still looks great.

I used to use Sikkens and other varnishes and could never get a good finish, oil is tremendously forgiving

Regards

Tet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back