Oak flooring in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have some oak flooring left over from my lounge and want to fit this into my garage.

Currently the garage is a concrete slab, probably with no DPM

What is the best way to go about fitting the flooring? Some mention plywood the lot first, some say batten it, some say float it

I know I need to fit a DPM of some sort (whether sheet or liquid).

Im confused

Sponsored Links
Having a read about on the net, what does everyone think of the following:

1) Place DPM sheet over concrete
2) Lay 10mm polystyrene insulation boards
3) Lay 12mm plywood (floating)
4) Self adhesive underlay
5) 18mm oak flooring

This all depends on what heights I have to work from, making considerations for the doors I have already installed

I would say that what you have specified would work well. If height is an issue you can always lay the self adhesive underlay straight over the DPM but of course then you would not have the insulation. From experience Elastilon is a very good self adhesive underlay and is well worth a look at.

i reckon if you float a floor on any underlay then as soon as you drive a car over it it will probably split the tongue and grooves and cause damage to the floor as the weight will be at the four wheels not spread evenly.

I would probably fo for plastic sheet or dpm and then ply then wood floor. seems pointless to insulate the garage floor with under lay when the car could ruin it.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Not sure if the garage is for car use or not but regardless cant see how it would split the T&G any more than other methods. If you have a solid concrete, then a DPM and then a 3mm underlay there is no reason that I can think of why this would put any more pressure on the T&G.

Another alternative if you wanted to insulate would be to build a batten framework and insulate between the battens. Some floors can then be secretly nailed straight to the battens. Or if the wood floor boards themselves are not strong enough for this a ply can be put down and then the flooring nailed to the ply. However again this can cause issues with height.

Hi

Just to update, car will never be parked in the garage

Is there any point in the insulation boards? The new plan:

Self level
Liquid dpm
Primer
Self level
Elasticol (sp)
Flooring

Personally I would just go for:

Self level
DPM
Elastilon
Flooring

Saves time and money and would be more than adequate.

Personally I would just go for:

Self level
DPM
Elastilon
Flooring

Saves time and money and would be more than adequate.

Thanks for the reply

Didn't realise you could put elastilon directly on the liquid dpm, or were you talking plastic sheet type?

What are the views on gluing the boards down on the self level?

I was talking plastic sheet type sorry.

Elastilon instructions say: "Prior to installation on cement or stone floors, a moisture barrier (PE film 0.2mm) or a vapour barrier (PE film from 1.2mm,especially on floors without a basement) must be laid out as protection against moisture. The underlay must stand at least 30mm up the walls. The joints of the moisture barrier must overlap by at least 200mm and be taped to each other"

There is no right or wrong answer. Ask 50 flooring fitters and your likely to get 50 different replies :) Personally I am no so keen on glueing. Movement in your floor can cause stresses and strains to the joints which has been known to cause problems. Elastilon reacts favourably to movement rather than simply restricting it. However I believe there are also some flexible adhesives on the market that do a similar thing but I'm not all that familiar with these to be honest.

I was talking plastic sheet type sorry.

Elastilon instructions say: "Prior to installation on cement or stone floors, a moisture barrier (PE film 0.2mm) or a vapour barrier (PE film from 1.2mm,especially on floors without a basement) must be laid out as protection against moisture. The underlay must stand at least 30mm up the walls. The joints of the moisture barrier must overlap by at least 200mm and be taped to each other"

There is no right or wrong answer. Ask 50 flooring fitters and your likely to get 50 different replies :) Personally I am no so keen on glueing. Movement in your floor can cause stresses and strains to the joints which has been known to cause problems. Elastilon reacts favourably to movement rather than simply restricting it. However I believe there are also some flexible adhesives on the market that do a similar thing but I'm not all that familiar with these to be honest.

Hi

I think this is how I'll do it.

I just need to check how level the floor is when I manage to clear out the garage. I may need to self level and then lay the damp sheet

Will this be ok ?http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Construction+Materials/Damp+Proofing/Damp+Proof+Membrane+250mu+1000g/d210/sd2787/p21675

Thanks

When checking the level of your subfloor Elastilon say that if the sub floor is any more the 2mm per running metre a leveling compound should be used.

In terms of the DPM I am not an expert on this to be honest. Elastilon specified to us that a 200 micron PE Film DPM should be used. Dont know if this helps.

Cheers

When checking the level of your subfloor Elastilon say that if the sub floor is any more the 2mm per running metre a leveling compound should be used.

In terms of the DPM I am not an expert on this to be honest. Elastilon specified to us that a 200 micron PE Film DPM should be used. Dont know if this helps.

Cheers

I think I will have to use self level, as I know there are some uneven areas, that were dug up for a new water main years ago.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back