Oak wood work top advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an oak worktop which had a large scratch it.

I sanded out the scratch and reapplied Danish Oil in several layers over the area, but where I sanded is still lighter than the surrounding worktop, no matter how many layers of oil I put on it.

Is this normal and is there any way I can get that area back to the original colour to match the rest of the work top?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the rest of the table will have dirt/marks/darkening/lightening through use over time -- if you sand down a section it will immediately look newer than the rest of the table. Getting a near-perfect match is the job of french polishers or furniture restorers.

If it were me - and others will differ - I'd give the whole table a light sanding, clean it down then apply fresh coats of oil or beeswax.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ive only ever used Danish oil - can I use Osmo over the top or would I have to sand it back to the wood and start again with Osmo oil?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back