obscure window??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had a new double glazed obscure window fitted but i'm not sure it has been installed correctly, should the obscure panel be on the inside or the outside? it is a pilkington k glass so i assume it should be only fitted one way!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It used to be normal practice to put the patterned glass on the inside of the double glazed unit (before Doc. L came about) but because the "K glass" or "Low E" ideally needs to be on the inside of the unit, the patterned glass is now put on the outside.
This is the way I do it now and also many other glaziers that I know, although I have heard that putting the "Low E" glass on the outside pane will not effect it's performance too much because the "Low E" coating is actually on the inside of the unit and isn't effected by weathering. If this is the case then you could always turn the unit around if it bothers you that much.

If the loe-e coating is on surface 2 (counting from the outside) it will reduce solar heat gain rather than reducing internal heat loss as in the case where the low-e coat is on surface 3. Hence put the obscure glass on the outside and the Pilk K on the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back