Obstructed condensate drainage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 26CDi EXTRA boiler,installed six years ago.
The condensate drain from the secondary heat exchanger appears to be obstructed causing a shutdown, presumably from "air pressure fault".
Having disconnected the plastic drain tube from the syphon and extended it I find that blowing back (by mouth) up the tube I encounter some resistance and can hear bubbling in the stainless steel box.
Allowing the tube to drain freely (with the boiler shut down) it discharges about two drops a second until it is empty - a couple of hours and about half a litre. Theboiler can then be started up and operates normally.

I have tried washing through with plain water from the monitoring port on the flue - with little success. Could someone please tell me:-

a) What is the chemical nature of the sludge in the stainless box?
b) What chemical flush is likely to loosen or dissolve it? (Presumably not an acid descaler as the condensate is already acid).
Thanks in anticipation. Egdiy.

Sponsored Links
There should not be much sludge in there and it may have brick bits from a careless installer.

It will probably need to be removed so it can be properly flushed out and inverted to get any lumps out.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back