Obtaining a good seal :Overheated water pipe joint

R

richard7761

Hi. I needed to make a join to the water supply inlet pipe. Unfortunately, the straight coupler is in a slightly awkward position, almost on a level with the clay pipe which surrounds the pipe.

In an effort to be sure about solder melting, what I've managed to do is overheat the joint. And there is a tiny amount of water getting out of the joint. I think at the bottom end of the straight coupler.

I'm not actually keen on removing the coupler. I think what I need to do is reheat the joint and apply new solder. I think solder will get inside the contact area through capillary action.

To ensure I get a good result I intend to wrap copper wire near the entrances to the coupler as shown. I'm hoping that as I feed in solder to where the wire coils are, they will "suck in" solder, which will provide a kind of reservoir for the capillary action.

This time, I'll heat the joint and keep testing with my solder stick until the solder begins to melt and not overdo the heat.

Any comments? What chances are that I can stop the very very slight leak? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you have to remove the coupler and replace with new one.

If I were you, I would fit a compression coupler as there will still be water inside the supply pipe, making solder joint useless.

Or replace it with new MDPE pipe.

Daniel.

Hi. Replaced the soldered joint with compression coupler. Seems fine now.

Should have done that at the start I think. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back