Occassonal noise in CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional (not combi or condensing) central heating system with 11 radiators, all with thermostatic valves.
Following noise in the system and the age (approx 18 yrs) I drained the system, added a desludging agent, refilled it and left it for 4 days. It worked perfectly during this time. I then drained it, added inhibitor re-filled it, bled it via the radiators numerous times.
All radiators heat up as does the hot water. However, after about 2 hrs 10 minutes (yes that regular) a vibration sets up. Opening a thermostatic valve usually stops it. I've noticed that in the region of the pump/3-way vave/header tank feed the sound of running water is heard and about 3 seconds later the vibration sets up in the nearest radiator and water can be heard running in the radiator.
One thought was that a slug of air was going past the header tank feed and cold water was getting into the hot system, hitting the thermostatic valve causing it to try and open (because it's cold) but can't because its partly shut in and opening it makes it happy. However this could be a load of rubbish and I can hear all you plumbers laughing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You say all radiators have thermostatic valves. Do you have a bypass valve fitted? if not at least one radiator should have a conventional valve and be left open. If you don't do this, when all the valves shut after about 2 hours (or so), the pump can't circulate water, so it makes a noise.

Thanks oillman, that makes a lot of sense. Where would the by-pass be fitted?Can I get away with leaving the thermostatic valve fully open which I understood would always let water pass?Or would it be best to fit a conventional valve?

Sponsored Links
Bypass goes between pump output and boiler return. If you leave the thermostatic valve on, I'd take the head off so do-gooders intent on saving the planet don't do it by destroying your CH system. You could close down the lockshield valve to 1/2 turn or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back