Ocean alpha 240p hot water, whistling, shower problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a complete newbie so would appreciate any help really s.p.e.l.t. out :)
I dont' know what microswitches, heat exchangers etc are or what they look like.

My boiler seems to have a few problems and I don't know if they're related but would greatly appreciate any help.

During the cold winter mornings we are not getting hot water. Only once the central heating has been on for a few hours we do get running hot water. When the boiler is on it whistles very loudly as well. If I turn a hot tap on then it stops but starts again when I turn the tap off.

We also have a problem with the shower pressure. When the central heating is on the hot water is constant and the pressure is very weak. When the central heating is off the water is hot but dribbles out for a short while then I get very very high pressure of very cold water for a few seconds then back to dribbly hot water.

I also find that I have to bleed the bathroom radiator regularly to remove air. This is the radiator nearest the boiler.

The boiler has had an annual service as part of a British Gas Homecare agreement, but their engineers have typically been unhelpful and said if they can't see the problem in action they can't do anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back