odd light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is one that has me stumped, I recently purchased a house and am now in the process of moving in and decorating etc. One thing I have come across is that in every room there is a light switch at floor level one or two next to a socket but some totally on their own in the middle of nowhere...

Any idea what this could be? Has anyone seen his before? Best to my knowledge there has never been electric radiators and there is no underfloor heating.

162000_161408_31691_70241639_thumb.jpg

162000_161408_31690_11775831_thumb.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly night storage leftovers. Have you also got a disused fuse box next to the live one? And/or a bunch of cables that just come to an end near the fusebox/consumer unit? It's likely the wiring for the switches is still all in place, so it might be possible to get them reconnected and convert them to sockets.

PJ

thank you for clearing that up ;) I do have two fuse boxes but both appear to be in use. I will most certainly if i can convert to sockets, far more useful...

Sponsored Links
One of the fuseboards should have a row of fuses/circuit breakers all the same - this will be the night store board. It will probably have the switch at the ON position, but it doesn't need to be, nor should it be, if all the old heating has been removed. It might or might not have been disconnected from the main supply. And you probably still have a time clock somewhere near the meter .... Usually when NSH is removed al lthe infrastructure gets left in place.

Check your electric bill to see if your tariff includes night storage/Economy 7, as it could make a difference to what you pay; another part of the NS infrastructure people forget to remove.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back