Odd old fuse replacement?

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Last week I had a 12 V DC/4 amp fuse blow on an ancient 6/12 V car charger. I do own a modern smart charger but the ancient beast (it has a selenium rectifier inside) does come handy for reviving utterly flat batteries the smart charger won‘t even recognise. Besides, it‘s a neat museum piece.

Does anyone recognise this type of fuse? It seems to be rewirable, or at least only the paxolin bit with the two rivets inside needs to be replaced. The brass pins thread into the bakelite and push against the rivets. I‘d really appreciate any help trying to find a replacement! TIA

2572EEF3-3DC2-4D81-9913-779E1FF6969A.jpeg

EE4041E5-C559-4948-BCC3-FDC6516F3309.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like you would put a piece of fusewire inside, which the pins would screw against

I remember seeing a battery charger with two of those things on the front panel. One of them positioned for 6v/12v.

Can't think of the brand name. Began with an "R". A famous physicist's name.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the wire seems to have run between the two rivets, wrapped around the centres. I haven‘t been able to find any 4 amp fuse wire though and going up to 5 amps seems a bit risky. 4 amps is right between 37 (3.5 amps) and 36 (4.5 amps) SWG. I‘m tempted to try and find 37 to err on the side of caution. Doesn’t seem to be readily available though. I suppose another option would be cannibalising a 4-amp D-type bottle fuse, while uncommon they’re in stock in various online stores.

This charger has three of those fuses. 300 mA on the mains side, 4 amps on the DC side and a third one, also 4 amps, to select 6 or 12 V output.

Back