oil boiler retrofit - advice needed on location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small property in france, and it currently is heated by solar panels feeding a heatbank 350L multi coil cylinder in the loft running underfloor heating. Backup for cloudy days and winter is a 3phase immersion heater supplying 9kw of heat which mid winter can *just* keep pace with peak demands.
Now, the solar install provides nowhere near the output claimed by the suppliers (not DPS, they only supplied the tank and controls, which have worked flawlessly) in the 6 years we've had it, and it costs a fortune in electricity to heat our house in winter.
I have to retrofit another fuel source onto it, fortunately I specified a extra internal coil when the tank was manufactured to allow a boiler to be retrofit if the claims did not live up to reality.
Ive purchased a brand new 30kw lamborghini oil boiler that I plan to hook onto the extra water tank coil, and instead of the thermostat powering the 3phase contactor, I plan to get it to fire up the boiler instead.
Thats the background, location is the awkward one for me. Currently the tank is located in the loft, the floor beams were massively overspec'd when we built that level as part of the original conversion. We also floor'ed it througout and fitted proper ladder access.
Option a is to locate the oil boiler in the loftspace directly , as we also have the original chimney stack for the house still in place. But if a oil boiler is located in there, will there be any odour? also how do you arrange the fuel to be pumped up from a ground floor located tank? tank has to be located on the ground floor for refueling access. Also for tank location, there is nowhere really suitable adjacent to the house directly, and burying the tank will require fuel to be purchased with an antifreeze component, which costs more on a daily basis. How far can the oil be pumped to the boiler? is there anyone that can give me a limit on what head of oil they support .

Option b is to locate the boiler in a detached outbuilding and run insulated pipe between the boiler and the cylinder in its current location inside a insulated trench. Now I understand the pipe has to have a very good R value, and there will be some latency of response, but this is the easier install. The stack on the outbuilding will be lower than the eves of the house however although I would think you wouldn't see see sparks or smoke emitted?, it currently already has a chimney from a old wood burning stove install. There are two rooms inside, divided by a breezeblock wall, so the plan is to locate the tank in the outer room and the boiler in the inner.

Id like option A) because of the heat loss being minimised, but I can't get my head around the oil pumping requirements. Advice anyone?

I should add mains gas isn't a option (not in area) and the various propane fired boilers cost a fortune in running costs and hire of tank.

Sponsored Links
Nobody? just bumping this in the hope that being on page1 again might solicit a response from someone oil pump knowledgeable.

Having the oil boiler in a loft is a real pain for servicing, let alone oil supply. It's possible, not a good idea.

Is this in the alps? Why will the oil freeze underground?

Not the alps, but we do hit -10 in the winter occasionally. Digging in a 500L+ tank would go below the water table when buried deep enough to get below the frost line. Then you'd have to be into filling it or ballasting it somehow or enclosing it in a concrete pit to stop hydraulic pressure forcing it up. We had the same issue with our fosse,we got round that by refilling the septic tank with water after emptying or we were told we'd find it bobbing on the surface of the garden after heavy rainfall...

Sponsored Links
Not the alps, but we do hit -10 in the winter occasionally. Digging in a 500L+ tank would go below the water table when buried deep enough to get below the frost line. Then you'd have to be into filling it or ballasting it somehow or enclosing it in a concrete pit to stop hydraulic pressure forcing it up. We had the same issue with our fosse,we got round that by refilling the septic tank with water after emptying or we were told we'd find it bobbing on the surface of the garden after heavy rainfall...

Personally, I would say, fit the boiler in an outbuilding with underground F&R's to the property. Most houses don't have this advantage so I would say go with option B.
You may find the oil boiler could be a bit smelly if it isn't operating correctly or you have a bit of oil spillage etc. + servicing issues

And a year on we had gone with the outbuilding install, and Im so glad we did, there is always a faint odour of diesel in the building where it is located.
Losses from the circuit turned out to be not so problematic and it all worked brilliantly.

You asked for advice AFTER you had bought a boiler which is grossly oversized.

By your own info you need a little over 10 kW so about 15 kW would have been a good choice.

Since you are heating the store, the absorbtion of the heating coil is the relevant factor to consider as well as the heat required for the building.

I would expect that your oversized boiler is short cycling! Which département are you living in?

An underground fuel tank is unlikely to fall to below the 30 C at which temperature the fuel starts to thicken that would have been no problem.

Tony

Theres no issue, the boiler starts up and brings the store up to temperature running flat out for about 10-15 minutes, then shuts off for a hour or so, its not running constantly as we set the cut in temperature much lower than the final cut out one.
The oil tank is in another outbuilding out of the way of frost but next to the boiler room but with concrete walls seperating the two, that way we dont have to buy expensive heating oil that has been treated with antifreeze.

Ive seen plenty of professional installs by registered french companies with siret numbers the lot and all their boilers reek faintly too. I updated the post to say thanks to the original posters and put my experience post install.

Yes it was a little oversized, but it was also 300e from bricodepot on special offer...

Ill not bother updating things in future I think...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back