Oil fired boiler location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My parents have moved to an old house with no mains gas. It has a very old oil fired boiler at the moment.

The oil tank is currently located in a stone barn which is attached to the property.

Is it allowed to install a boiler in the barn? ie. the same room as the oil tank? Or is that restricted?

I know very little about what you can and can't do with oil.
This is all ideas stage - moving the boiler to the barn would free up a lot of space in the house, if it's doable.

thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
Call a few local oil installers to get installation quotes, they will be able to explain best method and then you can compare prices etc.

have you thought about an external oil boiler?,

Yes - possibly for this barn. Although it's got a roof, it's not really an inside space in that there are large (12" square) holes in the wall, etc.

I wondered about an external one inside the barn. Not sure.

I didn't really want to waste an installers time if the idea is a total non starter. It seemed like a possibility that a space with an oil tank is a no-no for the appliance itself.

Sponsored Links
The only non-starter is that the oil tank needs to be completely within a fire proof enclosure if it is within a building. A boiler in that same enclosure would not be acceptable.

Even if outside an oil tank needs to be protected from a fire damaging it and away from building openings, etc, where fire could errupt out of a burning building.

Should also be away from drains and ditches and other water courses unless a double skinned 'bunded' tank.

I'm a little out of date now since retiring but in essence that's the gist of it!

Have a look for advice on the 'OFTEC' site and talk to a local oil tank installer or OFTEC Technician. They'll know the latest requirements.

Outhouses are ideal for an oil boiler. This was one I fitted in a garage for the guvnor..Flue goes straight up and out through the slates...
http://postimg.org/image/5eh4fgv8l/
Then you have the problem of the f&r.
20m of uponor econoflex was used in the above install. These things are fit and forget basically they are so reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back