Replacement Oil Boiler for big barn space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old farmhouse in the North of England (10m x 7m) with attached barn (10m X 7m) for which I need to replace my corroded oil fired Myson Vitesse 60/80 boiler (approx 12 years old) 23kw.

The CH is plumbed on 22mm with no HW requirement (this is fed from a separate Aga which heats the kitchen also).

The farmhouse is a 3 up 3 down room configuration whilst the barn is one big space open to the rafters with a mezzanine level and a large double glazed window in the old barn opening. The barn has 3 large double rads downstairs and 3 large double rads upstairs, but this system config has never heated this space properly – in fact this space is unusable in Winter. There is also a small offshoot room (3m x 3m) at the end of this barn with a rad that never gets more than barely warm. The idhe.org calculator suggests 24kw of heating required for the barn (although not sure about how to config it to accurately reflect this space) and 16.6kw for the farmhouse

My question is this: now I need to replace the boiler should I go for a much bigger boiler and get a bigger pump to try to heat the barn space or should I not bother upsizing and just use a boiler size similar to the existing system and treat the CH as a supplementary source to a fire place in the barn which has never worked – (this could be commissioned). Also I’ve got two rads at the far end of the barn that are stone cold all the time; is this because of the system config and lack of pump power at the end of the run (there are also lots of bends near here to get the system round various walls and joists etc) or is it an air lock – I’ve tried beeding these etc to no avail.

It’s not an option to rip up the house a put 28mm in unfortunately to improve the flow into here.

Also what problems would putting a condensing boiler pose? I need to do some efiiciency savings before this winter as last winter I was spending £250 a month on oil and look what’s happened to oil since then… I can’t afford £350 -£400 per month on heating bills!! :eek:

TIA

Nick

Sponsored Links
Use similar size boiler, the Grant multipass is very efficient, don't bother with condensing boilers.

THanks for the quick reply oilman. I'll check that out... any thoughts about the knackered rads at the end of the run

What is the score with condenser boilers oilman, why are you not impressed? I realise that they are more expensive, but according to sedbuk they seem to be about 10% more efficient surely these savings would add up going forward with the price of oil as it is?

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
As well as wilhelm's link, the SEDBUK rating for non-condensing oil boilers is capped at 87.5% net for ALL boilers, so you can't find out the more efficient ones. I often measure Multipass and Worcester and others at >90% net. If the claim of efficiency being 10% greater then someone is being a bit creative

where abouts in north of england are you, im in the north and regularly fir oil boilers etc to farms etc.
if you require any other help please let me know.

WOW! thought you'd given up, its nearly a year since your last post :)

That's great gang thanks for your erudite advice. Looks like a non-condenser to me then!

Fronnie: I live near Penistone (between Sheffield and Holmfirth) No jokes about willies please! Where are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back