Oil cap off - Engine Oil Everywhere!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm an idiot!
The other day whilst topping up my engine oil on my Mazda 323, I forgot to replace the oil cap. I drove unaware of any problems until a few days later when I noticed oil starting to come out under the bonnet.
:oops:
Upon opening the bonnet, I found the oil cap still resting in the place I left it, and I screwed it back. However I now have a very messy engine.

What are my options?
Have I done any serious damage?

Someone mentioned an engine valet or a steam clean. Does anyone know how much these typically cost?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Simpler

Sponsored Links
As for the damage, make sure the oil is topped back up to level on the dipstick......... remembering to replace the cap of course!

Can buy engine degreaser from halfrauds or motor factors for a couple of quid a tin. Just squirt it on, leave for 10 mins the wash off with a hose.

Other way to do it is the jet wash at a petrol station. Dont spray directly on anything electrical, and leave the engine running and all will be fine!

buy some engine cleaner,the gunk stuff is pretty good,id personally use a low pressure hose to clean it off though,pressure washing can give you all kinds of issues with the electrics

Gunk makes two kinds, the original one smells really strong; the newer one seems to be some kind of extra-strong fairy liquid and I much prefer it. It is biodegradable like other detergents.

You can tell them apart from the instructions: The old formula says you must apply it to a dry surface (no water) and if the surface is still dirty after you have rinsed it off (it will be) then you must wait for the water to dry off before you apply again.

The newer one says mix it with water. I find it much better. You can clean off with a bucket of this and a soft brush (I use the sort supplied with a dustpan). Especially dirty areas you can scrub at with a paintbrush, and a jamjar of the same stuff, not so dilute. If it is still dirty, you can brush at it again immediately.

Don't forget the underside of the bonnet.

Put some plastic over the engine electrics to protect then from water, and clean them separately with your paintbrush and a rag.

If you have a garden sprayer you can use for rinsing, this is more easily aimed than a hosepipe or pressure washer.

Find the air inlet for the air cleaner and prevent water getting into it, or the engine will not start unless you take it out and dry it.

Apply WD40 to the electrical wiring (to protect from water) and the fanbelts (prevents squeaking)when you have dried it out. Run the engine to get it hot afterwards to dry out water from crevices you can't reach.

Afterwards, give everything a rub over with a rag to dry it off and polish away any grime remaining.

Sponsored Links
I'm off to Halfords as soon as I get a moment. Brilliant, thanks again.

simpler

Back