Yellow sludge in oil filler cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 1993 Ford Fiesta 1.1 which I've recently bought.
My daily drive to work is generally not far enough for the engine to get properly warm (temp. guage just in "norm" zone). Though I do longer journeys at weekends.
When checking the oil (it needed topping up) I noticed that the filler cap had deposits of yellow sludge on it - I could also see some in the rocker box cover. The oil on the dipstick is black.
In all other respects the car performs OK.

Help please, do I just assume that the engine oil hasn't been changed for a while and change it (& the oil filter).
Or is there something serious here - if so how do I check ?
All help gratefully received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as everything is OK and you are not using water you have nothing to worry about really. The sludge is caused by condensation and oil mixing together and is called emulsifying. It usually clears on a longer run unless its built up really bad, which it can do on the push rod engines. I would remove the rocker cover, clean it out and replace or clean any filters,breathers etc connected to it, fit a new gasket and replace. In the interests of looking after your engine it would also pay you to change the oil and filter more frequently than standard times, due to your driving conditions.

I had an 'X' reg 1.1 Fiesta (can't think what year that was) and I ran it from 88,000 to 135,000 miles with the dipstick permanently creamy. Never changed the oil, just topped it up as required, and drove everywhere, including from York down to well into France and Germany.

Eventually, all of the doom-mongers got to me and I had an oil and filter change. Only did about 500 more miles until I needed a new engine.

One of the best oil in the world is Mobil 1, we has a BMW running in the testing workshop 24/7 at 3000rpm and done over 5,000,000 miles :!: then strip the engine down and all the internal parts was 100% clean and shows no sign of wear & tear :!:

Sponsored Links
However,most engine wear occurs during start up and warming up,so constant warm running causes much less wear anyway - the reason industrial diesel engines go on forever,and wagons happily do 120,000 km a year. :)

jtaunton said:
I had an 'X' reg 1.1 Fiesta (can't think what year that was) and
I ran it from 88,000 to 135,000 miles with the dipstick permanently creamy. Never changed the oil, just topped it up as required, and drove everywhere, including from York down to well into France and Germany.

Eventually, all of the doom-mongers got to me and I had an oil and filter change. Only did about 500 more miles until I needed a new engine.
"jt"
Sorry but this is not the way to get the best out of any moving machine parts,you may have done as you said but I would suspect that your top ups kept your car going for so long without a complete oil change,also the eventual damage to your engine was caused by dirty oil that was continually breaking down and absorbing water and carbon.If you had listened to "the doom-mongers" earlier your engine may have lasted longer.

"bazzas"
If you don't do any other routine maintainance,ensure you change your oil and filter every 12 months.When your oil starts breaking down so does your engine.Clean out the sludge and give the engine an internal flush before you change the oil and filter.If any damage has been done you would know by noisy engine and/or smoking exhaust.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry for the delay in feedback - I've been away.
Anyway, I changed the oil & filter. I'm still getting yellow sludge but I now think it is to do with driving to work and the engine not getting up to temperature. After a long run there's no sludge and I can get a long run in weekly. In all other respects the engine is fine(ish - for a 1993 1.1).
So for now I'll just monitor the situation.
Thanks for all your advice.

Back