Fiesta fuel filler cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a 1993 1.1 Fiesta. The fuel filler cap, which is ignition key operated, has progressively got more and more difficult to remove. By which I mean the key has got stiffer to turn in it. Now it won't turn at all. I don't want to be too heavy handed but can anyone advise the best course of action to remove the cap without too much damage. And advise where to get a new cap (Halfords ?).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
get some wd40 and spray it in through the key hole by poking the supplied straw in,then use the key to gradually free it off,should work

BazzaS,by now hopefully you have your fuel cap off and working?
The petrol dries out the locking mechanism,even if you don't brim the tank,the fumes alone will do it.I always lube fuel cap locks with engine oil,this lasts a good while.WD40 frees it ok but doesn't last.

Well, in my case WD40 didn't help - the filler cap was well and truly siezed up. Rather than get at it with a jemmy I took it to my local fraud dealer who charged £58 for a new lock, labour and VAT. So the moral of the story is if your filler cap starts to get stiff, immediately clean it with meths then bathe it in oil and ensure it is loosened!
Regards

Sponsored Links
Very hard luck BazzaS.A very expensive lesson in not getting out the oil can when it started to stiffen up.

Back