Oil recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's peoples opinions on a good oil to use. By good, I mean will offer protection to the engine for as long into the service period as possible. The cars in question are my kid's Punto and Ka.

When I serviced my own car in the 70s/80s, I always used the green Duckhams, but in those days you had to have an oil change every 5000 miles. I've recently been using Castrol Magnetec for their cars- I was drawn in by the write up on the container. But have since learned that it isn't even semi-synthetic.

On my main car, a focus, I have Fords own as it is serviced by them to keep in the warranty, and it looks in good condition even after 10000 miles.

Price isn't really an issue unless it's for the ridiculously overpriced oils, the £35 Duckhams springs to mind.

Sponsored Links
My daughter's Punto (2000) needed fully synthetic oil. I don't know what the Ka will need, some high-efficency engines need 30w oil to reduce drag.

Any good quality oil will do. By that I mean a known brand name and costing more than £2.99 a gallon. Magnatec is fine, as long as you get the grade for modern engines. I thought Castrol claimed that it was semi-synth, but as the courts have determined that any additional processing of the oil beyond refining counts as synthesizing, then I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

A few years ago I bought a four pack of 5 litre Total fully synthetic from the MG Club. It cost (I think) around £30 for the 20 ltrs delivered, so it shows how much mark-up there is on high-branded oils. Mobil 1 f'rinstance.

Rgds.

ive used cheaper oil from valvoline,carlube,fuchs,quantum etc for years and never had a problem,as long as it meets all the correct specs and is the right grade,castrol is way overpriced

My daughter's Punto (2000) needed fully synthetic oil. I don't know what the Ka will need, some high-efficency engines need 30w oil to reduce drag.

Any good quality oil will do. By that I mean a known brand name and costing more than £2.99 a gallon. Magnatec is fine, as long as you get the grade for modern engines. I thought Castrol claimed that it was semi-synth, but as the courts have determined that any additional processing of the oil beyond refining counts as synthesizing, then I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

A few years ago I bought a four pack of 5 litre Total fully synthetic from the MG Club. It cost (I think) around £30 for the 20 ltrs delivered, so it shows how much mark-up there is on high-branded oils. Mobil 1 f'rinstance.

Rgds.

In my BMW 520i I always use Mobile 1 synthetic.
I supply the new oil filter, and my garage does the oil change for £20 considering the price of the oil, I think this is a good deal. I always follow the service interval and use the oil service light resetting tool when the job is done.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's a gift. Now i think of it, Kwik-Fit used to do a Mobil 1 and filter change for £25, which is far cheaper than you can buy the stuff. Other places do oil and filter changes for around £20-£25 so it's not worth faffing about yourself.

Rgds.

One of the reasons for using Synthetic is that it will last a long time between oil changes as it does not lose its multigrade and other qualities so quickly. The other big advantage is that it is much more expensive so it gives you a warm glow of satisfaction.

Are you intending to do a lot of miles between oil changes :confused:

On old cars there is no point in using an expensive oil, since any oil from a major brand will be much much better than was available when the engine was designed. Follow the manufacturer's Owner's manual recommendations.

if it`s a Rootes Group car ....."use Shell oil only" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

it's absence of oil that causes the trouble

very very rarely blockages due to excessive dirt and neglected changes

approximately never from using a cheap oil instead of an expensive one

Sponsored Links
Back