Country
United Kingdom
My car

Make: Nissan
Model: Qashqai Acenta 2WD
Engine: 1598 CC
Year: 2008
Year Mileage: 120,000 miles

It's my first car, and first time to top up the oil. I had a look in my manual, and came across the attached page. I'm trying to decipher it. Assuming I've got the right page (which I'm not even sure about) what is the info on that page which tells me which sort of oil I should be topping up with?

Putting in my car's reg number on Halfords, I got the following recommendations:

Petronas Syntium 3000 FR 5W-30 Oil
Halfords 5W30 Fully Synthetic Oil 5
Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W30 Oil
Mobil Sup3000 XE 5W30 Oil
Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 Oil

as well as Halford's generic 5W30 Ford Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

Putting my reg number into Amazon I got (among various others):

Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40 Engine Oil
Mobil Super 3000 X1 FORMULA FE 5W-30
*New Version* Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Engine Oil
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30
Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W-40

The Amazon listings linked to my car reg all seem a bit pricier than the one I was initially looking at, which is Carlube 5W-30 A5/B5 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5 Litre

Given 5W-30 seems to be the most commonly mentioned, will I generally be safe with that specification or are there other things I need to consider?

Bit a ramble, I know, so to sum up:

First question is more broad - about understanding the info in my car's manual.
Second question is more specific - whether I can use Carlube 5W-30 A5/B5 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil in my engine (I prefer buying from Amazon where possible).

Attachments

• Nissan Qashqai oil recommendations.pdf
    517.7 KB · Views: 260
Sponsored Links
First, look on the makers website or the owners manual for your car to see what they recommended when it was new.
https://www.nissan.co.uk/ownership/nissan-services/maintenance-repair/genuine-oil.html
The brand name is the least important factor.

from what you say, I deduce this is one of the Ford-designed engines. If so, you should buy an oil meeting the Ford specification. Specifications by other engine makers are different, which is very annoying.

The Mobil 3000 version is a reputable brand and quite a reasonable price, especially if there is a Halfords near you and you register for their newsletters/ads emails. They have frequent "half-price" or "three for the price of two" and similar offers, especially during and just before bank holidays. Buy one (just one) litre bottle to keep in the car for topups, assuming you mostly buy 4 or 5 litre conainers, and the engine is not huge, you will have enough left over from an oil change to refill the small bottle.

The Halfords own-brand is IIRC made by Carlube. When you see an own-brand in a Supermarket or somewhere, look up the safety datasheet online and it will say who made it. It is likely to be a reputable refiner and blender, so if you buy a Ford spec 5W30 it is likely to be pretty good.

Full Synthetics are considered better, and can go longer between oil changes, but if you are a proud and diligent owner, I expect you will be changing at recommended intervals. Neglecting oil changes will do much more damage than buying a budget oil. If the old oil in your car is black and smelly, the previous owner may have neglected it, so change it right away.

I found that National Tyres do an oil change at such a good price, with a good brand, that it is not worth changing my own.

Your Carlube choice is just fine - genuine Nissan oil is competitively priced too.
(Take a seat if you want to buy plugs for it though :ROFLMAO:)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back