Mannol engine oils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have come across them on ebay when looking for 5w30 full synthetic for my sister's Hyundai i20 1.4 petrol.

A German manufactured oil it seems but I'm skeptical about the low prices.

Anyone got Mannol oil in their car engine ?

Sponsored Links
If it meets current specification then there's no reason why you shouldn't use it, but I've never heard of it personally. Google suggests it's made in the Ukraine.
Quantum is my oil of choice for VAG products.
John :)

why would you buy oil off ebay?

Because the prices for engine oil on ebay are very good in my opinion - especially for Millers which I tend to buy.

I was intrigued by Mannol when I read it was a German company.

Sponsored Links
If the ebay vendors are selling it cheap, they must be buying it even cheaper, allowing for transport costs.

from looking at company history, it seems to be a marketing company that badges products, though there seems to be a Lithuanian oil plant it might just be a bottler.

I envisage the sort of company that sells Comma oils as own-brand, like Halfords or Wilkinsons.

I usually buy my oil during one of Halfords half-price days, one of my cars is nice and uses 5W-30 Synthetic so I get Mobil. The other is more ordinary so I use Halfords. I'm on their email list. The older your vehicle, the less fancy the available oil will have been when the engine was designed. I used to get Tesco SJ when I had a bike with a wet clutch and a GSX engine, it's a very old spec but is premium-priced at bike shops. Clean fresh oil is much more important than expensive oil.

I buy my oil from Trago Mills, could be any make but if it has the correct specification that's fine by me. I'm currently paying about £9.00 for semi synthetic for my non DPF Hdi's.

Peter

if you look at the "safety data sheet" link for various products, it seems to show who the real maker is, and sometimes alternative names it is sold under (unless the links are broken, which is common).

Sometimes works on Screwfix too

I had Unipart oils recommend to me a couple of years ago. The counter staff at the local Part Co branch said that Unipart oil is made by Fuchs of Germany.

Here's a good deal
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unipart-5...482731?hash=item4af769c02b:g:8VUAAOSw5IJWeVQR

Makes you wonder about the price mark up if cheaper oils are as good as the £30+ stuff just because there's a famous name on the tub.

I totally agree about regular oil changes.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would sooner eat my own deep fried testicles than trust the 'tat' bazaar that is eBay to source the oil for any vehicle I own.

Most folk are bamboozled & overwhelmed by the technicalities of engine oil & it must be said that they wouldn't know a good engine oil from used chip fat.

If you have the time Google "John Rowland Silkolene fuchs" for all the info you could ever digest.

The man is a legend. There have been many times in motorsport when despite whose logo was on the bodywork this guys oil was in the engine.

In the good old days I used to buy my oil from the main dealers - and the price was very competitive......for Peugeot it was Mopar, Ford did their own, Vauxhall had AC Delco and so on.
Now I use dealer oils for cars under warranty, which includes a dealer filter. After that, Comma, Millers and Castrol are all excellent lubricants.
It depends where you buy!

I would sooner eat my own deep fried testicles than trust the 'tat' bazaar that is eBay to source the oil for any vehicle I own.

Most folk are bamboozled & overwhelmed by the technicalities of engine oil & it must be said that they wouldn't know a good engine oil from used chip fat.

If you have the time Google "John Rowland Silkolene fuchs" for all the info you could ever digest.

The man is a legend. There have been many times in motorsport when despite whose logo was on the bodywork this guys oil was in the engine.

Gsf car parts used to stock fuchs at reasonable prices, a very good product that i would use if it were available locally.
Some tend to cut corners where oil is concerned but spending £35 once or even twice a year on an oil and filter change is a small price to pay.
I think the problem is no one actually knows what is in the bottle, for example the Vw quantum range is supposedly rebranded castrol products which i use on my own cars.
These are a very good company to deal with and sell the better products, not the cheapest though.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

Last edited:
A good site that......one I've not looked at before as I thought they would be only promoting their own products. Recommended!

Provided they are the same grade and unused, is it practical to mix a oils of different brands if only for purpose of using up surplus when there's a litre or two left in some tubs ?

I think you'll hear a dozen different opinions about this one, but so long as the oil specifications are the same, together with the viscosity etc then I can't see any reason why you can't mix them. I'd also ascertain that if the car had a DPF the oil was specified for that too - similarly if the vehicle had a PD engine.

Sponsored Links
Back