Manufacturer Specific Engine Oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Basically what's the deal with engine oil now specifying a manufacturer? Eurocarparts have tripple QX oil which now states - for GM application, or VAG or Ford.

I know I need 5w30, but do I need engine oil that specifies my car's manufacturer? I'm trying to service my new (old) Toyota Avensis 2003 mk1 with it's 1.8 vvt-i engine, but can not as yet find an engine oil that states 'for Toyota application'.

Am I better off buying a generic engine oil which doesn't specify or manufacturer, or will I get away with using something with a different manufacturer written on the bottle.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I usually just put my reg number into the Eurocarparts website and click on Oil and it just shows me the compatible ones.

When I order oil (or any parts for that matter) for jobs at work, I just give the reg number to my supplier and he (or rather his computer) does the rest. If you’re not sure, look in your owners manual and it will specify the grade 5w/30 etc PLUS the specification A1, C3 etc. As long as what you buy complies with that there’s no problem.

Interesting you say to enter the REG on eurocarparts cause it recommends the 5w30 tripple QX which says for GM application.

Sponsored Links
have a look in the Toyota handbook or website. The oil suppliers usually lean towards the most expensive options available, and the engine maker may have designed the engine to suit something simpler.

The reference to particular manufacturers is AFAIK only relevant to Synthetic oils, where there are different specs for the major manufacturers (and others using their engine designs, such as Ford/Jag/Aston, and BMW/Range Rover).

I'd like to think that sooner or later good sense will prevail and specs will cover all makes again

might be on https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Last edited:
I have a Toyota too and I've noticed that none of the oil containers mention Toyota on them. I just buy the generic oil with the right spec.

It seems the emissions scandal has well and truly haunted VW!

They only issue the oil specification.

I've seen graphs for 504.00/507.00 and it is superior to other car makers specs for 5w30.

Just a point, on several oil tub labels for 504.00/507.00, I noticed the oil is also meets Porsche spec. Have a look at Millers' Trident LL V 5w30 product.

Albeit I can only comment on what I've read.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Indeed, Fuchs took over the contract from Castrol to produce Quantum brand oils.

Smith & Allan's VX Unelite is £20, inc delivery. Customer reviews are favorable.

504.00/507.00 is high spec universal engine oil for both petrol and diesel.

The one point I read on a VW forum is that that long life use of 504.00/507.00 is a con because the oil does deteriorate like other oils. None of the VW lads seem keen on the 24 month oil change intervals.

Is it not possible that the spec for the oil in a new car is designed for fuel economy and low emissions rather than engine life? Hence why my Volvo runs on 0w20 with some amazing list of letters and there are very few that comply, namely Castrol Edge Professional.

My comments are for 5w30 products.

VW504.00/507.00 oil spec was introduced in 2005 and as I mentioned above, froma what I've read, has a superior additive package for wear, economy and anti-sludge.

For engines requiring 5w30, 507.00/504.00 is a good choice as far as I'm aware, hence I use it in x7 cars we have.

Yes, more recent engine designs are using thinner oils such as 0w20.

VW508.00/509.00 (0w20) accommodates newer engines.

To quote from oilspecifications.org

"VW 508.00/509.00
This specification combo (508.00 for petrol, 509.00 for diesel) requires a 0W20 viscosity, fuel economy oil with long life additives. These specifications are NOT backward compatible with the earlier VW specifications. Recommended for the new 2.0 TFSI 140 kW and 3.0 TDI CR 160 kW VW/Audi engines."

Sponsored Links
Back