Manufacturer Specific Engine Oil?

Is it not possible that the spec for the oil in a new car is designed for fuel economy and low emissions rather than engine life? Hence why my Volvo runs on 0w20 with some amazing list of letters and there are very few that comply, namely Castrol Edge Professional.
I think that can be the only reason to use such a thin oil, seems to be getting ridiculous now.

Sponsored Links
Formula 1 engines probably use even thinner oils but then they're individually built and cost more than £1M.

Its basically down to how finely the bearing surfaces can be machined. A bit like 60 grit paper compared to 500 grit paper I suppose.

Back to 5w30, my sister's hubby got a 2008 Volvo s40 1.6D a few months back and we changed the oil putting 504.00/507.00 and its running sweet as a nut as is my sister's 2010 1.0 C3, also with 504.00/507.00 in the engine.

It's not how it's running now that bothers me, it's how it's running in 50k miles time...
Maybe that will be someone else's problem.

The local VW garage parts counter lads have told me of local taxi drivers clocking up 400k miles with their VW PD engines running on 504.00/507.00 oil and I've read similar accounts online.

Sponsored Links
I'm not risking my engine by saving £10 on an oil change and I'm tighter than a duck's arse.

I'm not risking my engine by saving £10 on an oil change and I'm tighter than a duck's arse.

I'm not suggesting anyone should skimp on their car engine - its a valuable commodity!

I'm merely pointing out that VW507.00/504.00 has a good additive package for a 5w30 oil. I currently buy Quantum oil from the local VW which is, at present, £21.60 inc vat.

What's your preferred engine oil brand?

I'm using Volvo branded 0w20 because of the warranty. It has to be low SAPs and for stop start engines. Very few to choose from. I used Total Quartz in my Citroen and Peugeot, it was a good price online. I think that if you deviate from the car manufacturer's spec, you're on dodgy ground if anything goes wrong. Not had an engine fail through lubrication problems since 1996 when my company car , Rover 214Si lost all it's oil on the M20, 3 days before my new car was due.

A car in warranty obviously has to comply with rules and use approved oil to the stated specification.

With the VW PD engines, the oil has to be a PD specification oil otherwise the cams for the injectors will fail prematurely.

It just so happens that PD spec oils, for a given oil grade seem to have a superior additive package compared to other like grades.

if you check the manufacturer's Owners Handbook for your vehicle, you are likely to find quite a number of acceptable oil specs. They are often laid out in a range dependent on the highest and lowest temperatures in the place where you live. The UK temperatures are within most, or all, of these ranges, and you can use any of the oils provided your region is within their range.

You are unlikely to be under any obligation to use the most expensive oil that the oil companies offer, although this might be the one the oil companies would like you to buy.

With an engine that was designed ten years ago, today's latest specification of oil will not even have been on the market, so the engine will not have been designed to require it.

Oil and filter changes to schedule are much more important to the longevity of your engine, than buying the most expensive oil.

Sponsored Links
Back