What brand car parts for Toyota? Does it really matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So in an ideal world when servicing a car you want to use original parts which would have been made with in the factory it was built in, right? (Or not?)

Are there any general brands Toyota tend to work well with or are best to use with this kind of thinking in mind? Or does it generally not really matter at all as long as it's the right part for the job?

My car specifically is a mk1 Avensis but is there a general rule of thumb with Toyota?

Thus far I've not noticed an engine oil with Toyota written on it either, are they not doing manufacturer specific engine oil at the moment?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am not up that much on cars but generally OEM bits (made by Toyota) would fit better than cheaper non manufacturer parts. However as a car gets older, the benefit decreases. I last replaced a Volvo indicator cluster with OEM but a pattern part was half the price

Unless oil is a very special blend most garages (non dealer) would use generic blends that meet spec.

Original parts can be much better quality but you do pay a premium for this, i personally wouldnt worry too much on an older car.
Somewhere like Euro car parts will probably sell all you need including the engine oil, they do sell some oe quality parts and supply dealers too.
Engine oil just needs to meet the required specs for your engine, no need to spend silly money.

If you'd like a recommendation for quality filters and components, including discs and pads its ADL Blueprint every time for me.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Mk1 Avensis is reckoned to be one of Toyota's best. They were used as minicabs as they were indestructible

As a general rule (and it's often impossible to tell before you buy!) it's best to go for a company that you know makes that particular type of component already. so, for example, if you wanted to replace a balljoint, Quinton Hazell would be a good bet, or Lemfoerder or TRW. If you wanted to replace a light, Valeo, or an engine bay sensor, Bosch or Denso, a brake component, Girling or Mintex, (and so on). Occasionally, you can see the maker's name on the original part.

I've used various eBay sources, ranging from appalling to "reasonable". Anything that doesn't have any kind of maker's name on it or anything that looks like a batch or date code - AVOID! If the manufacturer isn't willing to put his name on it, or operate any kind of quality system (which would demand traceability) it's probably rubbish. generally, with eBay stuff, you get what you pay for!

If there's a well-established motor factor near you, they will probably stock a range of "cheap" parts and a range of "good" parts. As long as you avoid the gold-plated bling, the "good" range will probably be good value. Ebay is sometimes good value but you have no guarantee of quality and goods might be counterfeit.

Toyotas are high-volume cars and last a long time, so there is no shortage of spares. For parts that are not safety-critical your local scrapyard will have rackfuls.

If you are servicing it yourself, get on Halfords mailing list. They have periodic half-price sales on branded and own-brand motor oils, so you can keep a can or two on the shelf. IIRC their own-brand is made by Comma or some other large refiner. You can sometimes track it down by reading the safety datasheets which mention the maker.

Back