Block exemption ruling (especially for mountainwalker)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The below information is to help people whom worry about the use of aftermarket parts on their vehicles.

I worked for 10 years as technical procurement for ADL Blueprint before the merger with Febi Bilstein, this meant i was one of a team inspecting the quality of components sent to us from suppliers, these test would be to destruction and would be compared to those that we carried out on the original parts. Some parts were purchased from the same supplier as the OEM's used and thus did not fall into the requirement to test. I then spent 5 years working for MAN B&W in research and development, before my current employment as a project engineer for a company that overhauls and services large marine and industrial diesel and gas engines.

For information regarding the block exemption ruling regarding aftermarket automotive parts supply, see the following link, NOTE: this is only applicable in Europe and thus in youtube videos comparing products in the US the results will be vastly different due to there being less regulation.

https://www.figiefa.eu/new-automotive-block-exemption-regulation/

The aftermarket suppliers go through the following process to ensure they compete in the market segment as per the OEM rules, (this particular piece is from Febi Bilstein considered to be one of the best in the industry), they will go through many tests (metallurgy, polymer etc) when reverse engineering the product, and many just buy from the same source that the OEM uses. Providing all the correct lab testing has been carried out and the measurements are as per the OE sample there is no need to test the components for 1000's of hours, they have already been tested by the OEM, that said however if an aftermarket supplier has carried out design changes to make the product more durable, then they will have spent the money and time in testing the component for many thousands of hours.

https://www.febi.com/en/brand/quality-management/

OEM's do NOT make everything themselves and they do NOT design everything themselves, though they do advise the initial specs

for example,

- Miba bearings make 90% of the bearings seen in commercial and industrial engines, they also supply these same bearings in the aftermarket.

- Gates make 60% of the belt drive systems found in the european car park, they supply the likes of VW and FORD etc, what they don't make they will purchase from other OEM suppliers and rebrand as there own (they work closely with INA, part of the Schaefler group)

- Mahle produce pistons for many of the worlds OEM's , they also sell many of these pistons on the aftermarket

- same with Bosch

If people say the aftermarket equivalent from the same manufacturer (i.e bosch aftermarket to Bosch OE ) is of lesser quality then they are advising a myth. This is not the case, it is not worth the costs of installing a completely separate production line just to produce an aftermarket component.

In some instances OEM's will even supply you with aftermarket boxed products with there own labels on when they have ran out of the OE branded boxing (see PHOTO)

Oils - You do need to be careful with oils, there is 2x wordings, which sound like they mean the same however they are very different. These are:

"Recommended for" and "Approved for" (or has manufacturer approval)

For an oil to be approved by the manufacture, the oil company must send in a huge sample to be tested, this will be done in a laboratory and on a test cell, i now MTU send the oil out to test mules they have in volatile conditions like mining sites in Africa which they will send the oil to to be field tested for 1000 hours, you will then get a certificate of approval once completed.

To get approval is an extremely expensive and thus only the big oil companies will generally spend to obtain the approval (many of which also help design and blend the specification with the OEM's)

The "recommended for" are usually cheaper oils, and they are not tested, they will be the oil manufactures own advice based on the blend and structure of the oil.

in some instances this is done to enable the oil producer to either keep less product on the shelf, or for the end user to keep less product type, (for 5w30 oil there was about 10 different specs at one time) an example can be seen in the attached Fuchs oil.

Final note: for good quality parts at reasonable prices on cars that are outside of the manufacturers warranty, it pays to use parts from the aftermarket, i would advise to only stick to the well known brands (if you dont know them then research them), if your car is under warranty but you still wish to take advantage of the cost savings of the aftermarket, then stick to the OEM supplier, for example, if you have a vehicle from VW group you will likely have a Mann + Hummel Filter.

sometimes the OEM brands do have reasonable prices, VW's trade parts supply are an example of extremely good value for money (also note that they also re-box aftermarket components for reduced costings, brake pads for example they offer 2x tiers on most models)

Attachments

• MTU-MAHLE.jpg
    MTU-MAHLE.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Annotation 2020-09-01 163213.png
    Annotation 2020-09-01 163213.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
A most interesting post - thank you for taking the trouble!
I’m happy with my choice of replacement parts - I’ve used ADL Blueprint for as long as I can remember, and my motor factor stocks Morris lubricants which also suit me.
You can understand the quandry some of us are in though.....although TJ filters seem to be rubbished these days, I was under the opinion that the makers are Tecalmit Jackson, one time leaders in diesel fuel injection - so ‘they must be good’.
Another one is Crosland - at one time there was hardly an alternative to filter heating oils.
John :)

Yes unfortunately the passage of time and lack of investment or takeovers means brands do and can lose their once favourable reputation.

Crossland was once the darling of filtration, unfortunately they were bought by Sogeffi whom dismantled the brand and just took the technical content and plugged it into their own preferred brands, they then sold the naming rights only to euro carparts, whom now box the most dreadful filters in, euro car parts are the go to company for the motor trade who want to fit tosh.

I don't know much about tj filters other than they are now owned by tetrosyl, it's not a familiar brand these days but it's association with quinten hazel doesn't assist it's reputation, QH wasn't liked much in the trade because of dubious quality in the early 90's however they did resolve this about the time they went bust.

I don’t use Eurocarparts personally but my local factors (AV Taylor) may well source goods from them and another one (TMS) may do the same.
Can you tell us which makes to avoid, or is that out of order?

Sponsored Links
I don’t use Eurocarparts personally but my local factors (AV Taylor) may well source goods from them and another one (TMS) may do the same.
Can you tell us which makes to avoid, or is that out of order?

They change their brands all the time, and it's hard to keep up. If you trust your local factors then they should know what to avoid from them.

They do good brands aswell as they try and cater for all types, the car sales who just want to do everything as cheap as poss to the top of the line dealer type garages

The aftermarket suppliers go through the following process to ensure they compete in the market segment as per the OEM rules,

I have just noticed this thread and - unfortunately - feel obliged to comment on it. Some of you may feel this clash of views has gone on too long, but for me it is vital to combat this nonsensical belief that all spare parts out there have to be o.e. standard because somebody doesn't understand what "block-exemption " means.

Once again "block-exemption " means that for the duration of the warranty period for a car ( or anything else in fact ) the manufacturer can demand that parts of a certain quality are required. Once the warranty has expired you can use whatever you are happy with, because the consequences are down to you and your wallet and not the manufacturer.

There are no legal requirements ( AFAIK ) for spare parts in the EU unless these items claim to be made to standard AAAA, in which case they should meet that and may be subject to legal sanction if non-conforming. Total junk is legal, probably even if it kills you and I'm sure it would require a civil case and not a criminal one to prove that. Therefore never accept that good packaging is a sign of acceptable quality per se - ensure that the company is known and has some verifiable bona fides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back