PD oil for ATD PD engine

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say really, but with an engine with a few miles on, I'd still be going for the 5/30.
It seems that the 0 grade oils aren't as popular than they once were, but that's only my speculation. Even real performance motors like the BMW M series don't use anything thinner than a 10, but that rises to a 60 grade because of the heat produced.
John :)

Just to continue with some blether.....
The correct PD oil must be used with the PD motor due to the extra shear loads placed on the injector cam lobes. Also, the cam lobes are thinner than usual to allow them to fit in and therefore are more prone to wear. If ever there was an advert to frequently change the oil and filter, this is the engine that benefits most!

Thanks John

I think I'll go for the Pennasol 5w40 PD oil/Comline filters pack I linked above.

The seller has confirmed its Pennasol and Comline they'll supply although for a VW, I suppose Mann filters would have been appropriate.

Sponsored Links
I've used both filters there.....for sure, I don't know their specification compared with original equipment and I doubt if we'd ever find out.....for me, its Blueprint every time now and that includes brake discs. These are much better than others and better even than the manufacturers original fitting in many cases - and that includes Audi :eek:

It seems Millers Trident Long Life full synthetic, both 5w40 and 5w30 accommodate the VW 505 01 spec. so adequate for the PD engines.

£23 / £28 on ebay so a good price for quality oil.

Millers is a fantastic oil but i see little point in paying another tenner for it over the quantum which is supposed to be a castrol product anyway.

I hadn't noticed Quantum was a Castrol product, thanks for pointing that out.

Actually, the local VW stocks Quantum.

I found an ebay listing for Quantum Platinum 5w40 5L @ £17.

Does anyone know of a source for Blue Print filters? I like to give them a try.

Last edited:
ref: micksgarage link

Thanks, much appreciated!

It seems Westway Oils are a similar setup to Millers Oils - both are British products.

I called in at a local motor factors this morning when passing to see what oil they had.

They stock Granville brand oil and when I asked about a 5w30 for my VW PD engine.

The fella on the counter was adamant - there isn't a 5w30 PD and I need to use 5w40 PD because a PD engine needs the PD additive to lubricate the PD injector cams. If I put a 5w30 in, he claimed the cams will rattle and wear prematurely!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back