PD oil for ATD PD engine

Sponsored Links
That's certainly value for money! Maybe that's a generic photo.....it doesn't look like a PD oil filter - they usually have a stalk (I think)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Going off my sister's old 99 reg Bora TDI, the stalk on that was attached to the filter head cap. The small o ring fitted near the end of the stalk and the large o ring fitted to the lip of the cap.

Having said that, the 99 reg was a non PD I believe as it had an injector pump sitting on the front of the engine.

A tad confusing these VW cars!

Confusing indeed! The later TDi common rail engines have the filter accessible from below, which means oil running down your sleeve is almost guaranteed :eek:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
For what it's worth I think this is the very best lubricant for VAG engines which utilise the long drain service interval .......I have noticed less oil consumption and smoke with this than any other make, and that includes turbo bearing seal performance.
At this price, why go for anything else?

The opinion is that its a Castrol product too in a different bottle.
Dont worry about the longlife part, i change mine every 6 months and only do about 3000 miles on it.

Last edited:
What's norm for VW TDI PD engines with 100k+ miles, 5w30 or 5w40 ?

What's norm for VW TDI PD engines with 100k+ miles, 5w30 or 5w40 ?
You can use either, but if the engine doesn't burn oil then the 5/30 will give slightly better protection in a cold start situation.
If the engine is burning some oil, a move to the 5/40 may have a slight benefit.

Almost every engine will clunk along for many, many miles on an average engine oil......its the turbo that cries enough, every time. Failed turbo seals will cause high oil consumption and may cause the engine to self destruct whilst consuming its own lube.....not a pretty sight!
Regarding the extended service interval then fair enough, go for it - but let it go longer at your peril.
My own vehicle - Yeti 2.0 cr engine, extended service interval gets an oil and filter change at every 10k (just done it, as it happens.) So, if I need it to it should be good for years to come. I'm waiting to see at what point the car reckons it needs to be done with some interest!

Mannoil are recently introduced products and I'm using a lot of them so I hope they are good!
One vehicle in particular I'm using them with is a SEAT Leon 1.6 diesel, 15 plate. This one has 50k on it already :eek: and it has to go to 120k before it's farewell. The Mannol product used here has VW / Audi / Skoda recommendations on the bottle so I've my fingers crossed!
Mannol also do a G12 coolant, brake fluid and aerosol cleaners and I'm using loads of those too.

Sponsored Links
Back