Oi'll give it foive (showing my age) :lol:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have known this but didn't, Bill Shankly was one of five brothers who all played professional football. There are plenty of examples of talented brothers, sons, cousins etc playing, but five out of five :eek:
Can anyone else think of anything similar?

All five Shankly brothers played professional football and Shankly claimed that "once, when we were all at our peaks, we could have beaten any five brothers in the world".[1] His brothers were Alec, known as "Sandy" by the family, who played for Ayr United and Clyde; Jimmy (1902–72), who played for various clubs including Sheffield United and Southend United; John (1903–60), who played for Luton Town and Blackpool; and Bob (1910–82), who played for Alloa Athletic and Falkirk. Bob became a successful manager, guiding Dundee to victory in the Scottish championship in 1962 and the semi-finals of the European Cup the following year.[5] Their maternal uncles, Robert and William Blyth, were also professional players and both became club directors at Portsmouth and Carlisle United respectively.[6]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
By similar I meant brothers making it into the pro football ranks.
We all know of the Charltons and there's the Toure brothers now. But for five out of five to do it sounds pretty unique to me.

Back