OLD BACK BOILER CH DIVERTER VALVE/ TANK STAT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm responsible for a deceased estate property 50 miles from me and am having trouble getting someone to replace a CH wall timer. The CH and DHW system comprises a very old but well serviced back boiler ( Baxi bermuda 675). Theres a lagged hot water cylinder with pipes coming in and out of it. My question - no evidence of a stat on the hot water tank and no sign of any diverter valve. is it possible that this system has neither of these and if so whats stops the hot water tank getting too hot?

Sponsored Links
most probably a gravity hot water system, when HW is demanded the boiler ignites and the hot water pushes upwards and circulates through the coil in the cylinder , the water transfers its heat to the water that comes out the taps and as it cools it returns back to the boiler and so on and so on, the temperature of the water coming out of the taps is altered by the thermostat on the back boiler, when CH is switched on this just makes the pump run and sends water round the radiators, you will only get HW on its own or HW and CH at the same time , you will not get CH on its own without HW

Thanks Ian that makes things a bit clearer. We've had a electrician fit a new wall timer and it seems to have a mind of its own and dont want to call him back until we know its not us getting it wrong.

make sure the new timer is set to gravity mode, if it is set to pumped, it wont work properly, if you tell me which timer it is I will tell you how to check and adjust it, but basically if you can select CH and the HW doesnt come on at the same time it is set up wrong, some move sliders and some just have neons or LCD indicators, if set to Gravity the HW indicator will automatically come on too

Sponsored Links
OK on that you have two neons that tell you what is selected , leave the HW set to off and select the CH to on and if set correctly the HW will also come on , if it doesnt you need to remove it and move the jumper on the back to Gravity, only takes a few minutes

thanks Ian really appreciate your help. I will post back to update after tomorrow as the guy is coming back to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back