OLD BATTERY CHARGER - IS IT WORKING?

It's getting on age wise......

Nobody has thought of the obvious, that the ammeter's were so rubbish on these things, that it may just be the ammeter that's failed. They are virtually just a short circuit anyway, and the ammeter is really a voltmeter connected across a low value resistor, and measures mille-volts drop across the resistor. Sometimes giving a tap can free up the needle pivots and it will work (after a fashion)

I've got one that's 20+ years old, that works just fine, as long as you don't want to know how much current the battery's taking. Can't be bothered with repairing mine, which, by the way, has an over-current trip, that trips at the slightest excuse. You just press a button on the front of the unit to reset it.

Poppikins:
Yes, I've also got a new battery charger that won't charge flat (zero volts) batteries. It verifies that a battery is connected before activating the charge.
Got to say though, that if your battery can't be seen as a battery, then you need a battery, not a charger.
Less than 10.5v for a day or two, and it's probably done for.

Sponsored Links
Just couple a good battery via jump leads for a few minutes, while charger is connected to flat battery, the charger will now show 'charging'
remove the jump leads and it will probably continue charging, leave it slowly charging overnight, and with luck you may recover the battery.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back