OLD BATTERY CHARGER - IS IT WORKING?

It was all going so well until I looked out of the window to see my car slide off down the lane (I live on a steep hill) on its own and get jammed in the hedge half way down! The hand brake was on but I had taken it out of gear to try and start it and obviously forgotton to put it back into gear. :( So now I have no option but to wait until the snow clears and call out the RAC! Thanks for all the advice though and it is nice to know that there are other people out there old enough to own Selmar Star Battery Chargers!!

Sponsored Links
I would like some help with an old Selmar battery charger. It's an 8 amp RMS Heavy Battery Charger. It was always excellent for charging a flat battery but one day the Selmar went dead so we bought another one.

I just found my car battery flat as a pancake after 5 weeks standing in the snow, wet, cold etc. The car battery had been disconnected before it was left standing for the 5 weeks.

It was at this point that I found that the newer charger does not charge a completely flat battery (what is the point of that?).

I would really like to use the old Selmar if anyone could please advise why it may be dead?

I thought of looking for the internal fuse mentioned before but could not see how to open it.

With this Selmar there does not actually seem to be any way of telling whether it is switched on or off.

Sorry to be a dummy but I know absolutely nothing about this so would be grateful for some help.

poppikins

you have to disconnect it from the mains, then open the case by undoing the screws that hold it together.

before you do that, open the mains plug to verify that the wires are secure and test or replace the plugtop fuse. 5A will do, or 3A if you can get one.

When plugged in, you normally see a tiny flicker on the ammeter needle.

you have to disconnect it from the mains, then open the case by undoing the screws that hold it together.

before you do that, open the mains plug to verify that the wires are secure and test or replace the plugtop fuse. 5A will do, or 3A if you can get one.

When plugged in, you normally see a tiny flicker on the ammeter needle.

Thanks. Plug checked and fuse replaced.

It's seems impossible to open. From my details do you think it could be the internal fuse or could it have just died?

Thanks for help.

poppikins

Sponsored Links
Have undone screws but case will not open.

On the bottom of the case (underneath the unit) there is a red plastic plug in where it would be expected to open with the number 30 on it.

Is this the fuse?

Thanks

poppikins

don't know

perhaps there are more screws hidden under labels or plugs

post a pic

If you wanted to check the mains circuit for completeness (continuity) with an ohmmeter. Place the meter across Phase (+) and neutral (-)

All being well it should read 0. You will probably find it reads 1 or open circuit due to a faulty thermal cutout switch in the transformer.

Mursai, I don't think you worded that well

Obviously if you put a meter across P and N, it is liable to have 240v on it.

don't know

post a pic

Thanks John D

I am still trying. There are 4 screws, 2 have now come out but the other two won't.

Have no means to send a pic.

Sorry but libby lou lou and Mursal’s replies are a bit above me

Thanks for help

poppikins

don't know

post a pic

Hello JohnD

I did answer this but my post seems to have disappeared.

Do not have any means to send a pic.

I am still trying. There are 4 screws and have got out 2 but the other 2 will not come out and would be glad of any ideas about this.

Libby lou lou and Mursal’s replies a bit above me – Sorry.

Thanks
poppikins

Why wont the other screws budge? Is it because they have funny heads (tamper proof), are the heads chewed or are they just spinning?
John :)

Mursai, I don't think you worded that well

Obviously if you put a meter across P and N, it is liable to have 240v on it.

Absolutely it would.

So disconnect the plug from the mains and put the ohmmeter across phase and neutral on the plug of the charger. You should get zero resistance or very close (the resistance of the primary winding on the transformer).
But it will probably be that high the meter will not be able to read the resistance = 1 or Infinity = open circuit.

Why wont the other screws budge? Is it because they have funny heads (tamper proof), are the heads chewed or are they just spinning?
John :)

Thanks Burnerman

The screws are about an inch long with a Phillips head.

They are sunk in holes about an inch deep so are not easy to see.

They appear to be spinning.

Thanks for help.

poppikins

put a blunt knife or something between the two halves of the case to push them apart while you turn the screw.

Sponsored Links
Back