1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Old baxi system boiler has very hot water.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Mr Chibs, 4 Oct 2021.

1. Mr Chibs

Mr Chibs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My BIL has moved into his new house, it came complete with a old baxi boiler, in guessing around 13 years old.

Apparently the hot water in the tap and the heating is too hot. He’s tried turning it down, but nothing seems to work. He also has an electric immersion, from a FaceTime call, it looks like a crappy old system, but he’s not in the position to junk it until next year at the earliest.

I’m going over in the next couple of days, is there anything I can check?

TIA

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Firstly check the immersion hasn’t been left turned on. If he’s got zone valves then it could be constantly calling if the microswitch is stuck. Check the room thermostat isn’t too high, and cylinder thermostat - this should be set to 60-65 degrees, usually denoted by an arrow.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    May even be a pumped CH/Gravity HW system, in which case he wont have a lot of control over HW temp without fitting a valve in the Primary (Cylinder) Return. If fully Pumped, as Chris said, check motorised valves are working, (my heating came on for the first time this end of the year last week, valve decided to stick open and I walked in to an oven...)

• Thanks Thanks x 2