Old bits of conduit and Besa boxes

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was replacing a light switch in an elderly relative's home at the weekend, and noticed something unfamilar.

It was rewired in the last ten years, and the existing steel conduit in the walls was used to run the PVC T&E to the light switches, which seems sensible. The old conduit was not used inside the loft or under the floor, only for the lightswitch drops. Some of the light switches have a modern plaster-depth steel box, earth wire sleeved and terminated in the box, which is attached by brass screws to the old sunken (Besa?) round steel box, which seems reasonable. However, the one I replaced has the steel conduit coming into a square opening in the wall (no steel box) and so the short length of conduit is unearthed. I have fitted a surface pattress for the moment but would prefer to sink a steel box later. I am not sure how it should be done.

The steel conduit is not the thin black-japanned stuff, but half-inch steel pipe, galvanised and threaded. It has no gland on the end, and no box, just comes down into the square hole. I think I could get a supplementary bonding strap on it, but it will be tight inside the wall. the end of the pipe is not sharp like modern thin conduit, but I would like to protect the cable in case of any future movement. Is there some kind of ferrule I can get?

Sponsored Links
From what you describe I wouldn't worry too much about earthing the conduit , it's not relied on as the cpc and I doubt if there would be enough movement to abrade the t&e cable. If you want belt & braces you might be able to use a 20mm grommet in the end of the conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back