old cast iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been inspired to get hold of some old cast iron at salvage - exterior use in the past awaiting a creative interior role.

The best option for cleaning I know is sand blasting but lacking access to that kind of kit any suggestions for the best place to start would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can get sand blasting attatchments for jet washers i think..

send it away to be blasted?
wire brush and elbow grease?

Begin by scraping off loose, flaky and brittle paint and rust, then circular wire brushes and a power tool provide probably the best answer.

I use an angle grinder with a wire cup brush for cleaning large items; small items I take to the bench where I have grinders with steel, brass and nylon wheels mounted.

I also use a Bosch GEB 1000 power tool (a very useful device, but you have to buy the dedicated Bosch abrasives for it) and an air die grinder with Scotch abrasives. You can of course use abrasives mounted in an electric drill.

Use respiratory and eye protection.

Sponsored Links
be carefull with cast iron if you drop it it can shatter like glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back