Old Crown Trade paint tin wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Mods - please feel free to move this post to another section if this is not the correct place for it.

I know this may be a long shot but after seeing some 1960 and 1970's Crown and Berger paint for sale on ebay, I thought I would post and ask on the forum here.

I am looking for an old Crown Trade paint tin and wonder if anyone has one lying around that I can buy? (Empty is better than full but I don't mind if it has content). Decent photographs of the back and side of a tin would also do, as it is for a project. (I am an ex-Painter and I want to make a moneybox, a lamp and a few other bits that are replicas of the old tins that I used to use). I'm getting nostalgic!

The design on the tins were all the same - like those in the pictures, and were around between 1971-1991. You could still buy these designs in the Crown Trade Centres as old stock until about 1994. The tins came in different colours for different types of finish as follows:

Eggshell/Acrylic Eggshell - Yellow/White tin
Silk Vinyl Emulsion - Blue/White tin
Matt Emulsion - Green/White tin
Covermatt Emulsion - White tin
Undercoat - White tin
Gloss - Red/White tin
Stronghold - Brown/White tin
Primer - Turquoise/White tin

$T2eC16dHJGgFFm9s9Z34BRemyD6Vnw~~48_80.JPG

$T2eC16hHJGEFFmz9cOcIBRcv8TO0YQ~~60_12.JPG

Thank you,

Gary

Sponsored Links
I`ve got a 4lb tin of Walpamur water paint ( with an advert for Duradio enamel on the lid ) empty - or is that too old ;)

You most probably know all this, but I'll tell you in case you don't.

About two years ago, Crown launched a range of matt emulsion called 'Crown Originals'.

The tins had the classic Crown logo, and the colours were those used back in the day. The colours were;
1971 spring yellow
1968 georgian green
1977 lime
1990 roman clay or natural
1952 grey
1997 aqua
1981 tango orange
1980 blue
2000 lavender
1986 geranium or signal red
1978 emperor purple
1985 pink
1973 catalan umber brown
1987 denim

There's a good shot of a tin of 1973 Crown black emulsion in the film version of the tv series Love Thy Neighbour, where Bill paints Eddie's face black.

Back to the actual question, don't think I have any particularly old paint tins like you suggest, though till recently had some old Berger (I think) tins of white undercoat and gloss. These tins were white and green, and white and blue. I date them roughly around 1980.

Sponsored Links
You most probably know all this, but I'll tell you in case you don't.

About two years ago, Crown launched a range of matt emulsion called 'Crown Originals'.

The tins had the classic Crown logo, and the colours were those used back in the day. The colours were;
1971 spring yellow
1968 georgian green
1977 lime
1990 roman clay or natural
1952 grey
1997 aqua
1981 tango orange
1980 blue
2000 lavender
1986 geranium or signal red
1978 emperor purple
1985 pink
1973 catalan umber brown
1987 denim

There's a good shot of a tin of 1973 Crown black emulsion in the film version of the tv series Love Thy Neighbour, where Bill paints Eddie's face black.

Back to the actual question, don't think I have any particularly old paint tins like you suggest, though till recently had some old Berger (I think) tins of white undercoat and gloss. These tins were white and green, and white and blue. I date them roughly around 1980.

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that B&Q were selling the 'Crown Originals' range, and although the logo on the top front of the cans is the same they are altogether different. They are similar to the retail versions that used be called 'Crown Plus Two' back in the day, and so are not the ones I am looking for.

You're right about the Berger tins - Undercoat was blue and Gloss was an aquamarine type Green. Around from the late 70's to the 80's.

I really appreciate your reply - with you having had the old Berger tins for so long it shows that there is the possibility that, somewhere out there there may be someone with one of these Crown tins.

Here's a better picture of the tin designs I'm after:

$(KGrHqJ,!rQFGJWNw)bwBRmVEHviSQ~~48_80.JPG

Here is another example of three of the type of design of tins I'm talking about. If anyone gets sight of one - please let me know. I just need to know what the instructions and 'Health & Safety Information' panel on the back say.

wy1bp.png

I got a copy of the Love Thy Neighbour film, but unfortunately the tins in it are Crown Plus Two and not Crown Trade. Thank you for the pointer though nonetheless, any suggestions are always appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back