Old door intercom - 6 slots and 12 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I cut by mistake my door intercom cable. Trying to rewire it seems a bit more complicated than I thought. The intercom itself is really old (probably back from the 80s when the block was built). I have 12 wires and a lot of white cables which are a bit randomly positioned on the circuit board slots. What are these white cables doing? Are they supposed to be all neutral?

With a bit more details I have 8 slots from A to H.
Slot A has a green and white cable connected to it.
B a white and brown
C only a white
D only a blue
E an orange
F a grey
G a red and blue
H two whites

Thanks for your help!
Tom

Sponsored Links
post a picture as there are no standard wiring codes the whites may be the bell ring wires ( one per flat )

Hi Sparkymarka,

Thanks for your reply
I enclosed 2 pics one with a full view of the intercom phone and another one with the cable connection slots. Think my neighbor's intercom is working fine, am sure that more than 3 months after cutting the b*** cable I would have heard something from them!

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Sponsored Links
that looks old and a mess not sure what intercom that is, but its been modded what does the entrance station look like ?

The outside station looks quite new actually. I cannot unscrew the thing (especially not at this time anyway!). I posted some pictures as well as the plastic shell of the intercom phone.

I was thinking that I could try to connect the white cables a bit randomly and try as many as I get it work. Is there any risk that I blow up the thing by doing so? Any top for a more sensible method?

Cheers!
Tom

i would guess the cable has pairs eg green and white blue and white and so on and they have used them doubled up. get a multimeter set on buzz and try and find the pairs on the cut cable, that should rule out most of the connections eg A B F H

Totally works! I am back in modern life!
Thanks a lot for your advice guys!
Have a good Eastern weekend!
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back