Old Door Refurb - Rim Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 4 old doors upstairs that I want to refurbish. From the marks on the doors, they obviously had rim locks originally, but at some point these have been removed and replaced with noisy ball catches.

I'd like to go back to rim locks, but haven't been able to find any suitable due to a) the keyhole being above the line of the spindle hole and b) the keyhole and spindle hole only being 40mm apart (60mm and 100mm from the door edge respectively).

The doors are bare wood, so there's no simple fill and repaint fix.

It looks like some of the sided rim locks could fit (albeit with a new spindle hole) but only if fitted upside down as the keyhole on most of these seems to be at the bottom. I've no idea how that would affect the lock. Do they rely on gravity at all?

Is there any convincing way to cover old holes? The finger plates someone fitted to the downstairs doors do the job, but its obvious why they're there.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess locking is optional, though I'd rather avoid ones with a 'privacy' bolt, much as the kids would probably love them...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back