Old kitchen wall cupboard doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my utility, I have some really old kitchen wall cupboards which were once in the kitchen. They are handy for storing my home brewing equipment, slow cookers, plastic bin bags, dusters etc..

They fill almost the full width of the end wall, which is at right angles to the worktop, two side by side units, four doors. Access into them is really awkward - you open a door towards you then duck back to avoid the opening door. On the right hand side, that door only partially opens, due to there being an upright freezer in front of it.

I'm toying with the idea to remove the doors completely which will look very untidy, but would work well from a practical point of view. I'm not keen to spend a lot of money on an expensive solution, like sliding rails. Any better, cheaper solutions please? It's quite a low ceiling in the utility.

Sponsored Links
How about a roller blind so you can drop it to cover the contents when not using them?

In my utility, I have some really old kitchen wall cupboards which were once in the kitchen. They are handy for storing my home brewing equipment, slow cookers, plastic bin bags, dusters etc..

They fill almost the full width of the end wall, which is at right angles to the worktop, two side by side units, four doors. Access into them is really awkward - you open a door towards you then duck back to avoid the opening door. On the right hand side, that door only partially opens, due to there being an upright freezer in front of it.

I'm toying with the idea to remove the doors completely which will look very untidy, but would work well from a practical point of view. I'm not keen to spend a lot of money on an expensive solution, like sliding rails. Any better, cheaper solutions please? It's quite a low ceiling in the utility.
Sounds like it’s already untidy .

If only used occasionally, live with it.

Roller blind or Cheap Curtain/Fabric on a Net Wire.

Cut the Doors in half lengthways and add Hinges to create bi-folding Doors.
Might look rubbish! Magnetic catches may be needed to hold the Doors shut.

Sponsored Links
Make your own sliding rails by routing/cutting slots in batten type wood fixed to the fronts and use thin sheet material or obscure glass for doors, just like secondary glazing ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back