Old lintels with 100mm bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I know nobody can give me a definitive answer to this but I was hoping to get some experienced opinions.

I'm in the process of buying a property which required a structural engineers report as it's non-conventional build.

Ironically, there are some conventional bits, and one particular part has a pre-cast concrete lintel spanning a window approx 1800 wide, the lintel bears on each side only about 100mm.

The S/E has commented in his report that this "needs to be" removed and replaced with a new lintel with more bearing. There is no relevant damage or warning signs, however, at some point in the past the lintel benefited from a central brick column approx 300 wide which presumably propped it up somewhat too, though it's been removed at some point.

I found his reaction odd as to my mind that's just the way things were done in the 40's/50's when this property was built, and nobody goes around replacing every single lintel? Am I wrong about that though?

In any case I could swap the lintel fairly easy, knock out a few bricks to make a bigger bearing etc, but I don't know if that would be daft and I should really just go argue with the S/E a bit?

Would appreciate any oppinions.

Cheers,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Depends on the load it is carrying, but in a domestic situation, 100 would not be critical, particularly with brick rather than modern lightweight block, for instance.

What might be more of a problem for the lintel itself is the removal of the central pier.

with a span of 1800mm the lintel should have a bearing of at least 150mm, with the old pillar of 300mm in the middle, it would have meant two spans of 750mm where a 100mm bearing would have been sufficient as the lintel would have had support in the middle, do as the structural engineer says and get a longer lintel with a bigger bearing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back