Old Plaster Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have begun removing plaster off a chimney breast in my 1930's house, and some of it is incredibly hard. It is grey and looks more like concrete than modern plaster.

Is this how old plaster used to be, or is it something other than plaster that I shouldn't be removing?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
is it a random patch in the middle some where ?

could be just patch made good by a diyer before yourself

Hi

I have a house which was built in 1927 - oddly for the time all walls appear to be made entirely from grey concrete blocks on the internal skin. They look like breeze blocks but are heavy solid things!!

Anyway...the original plaster colour on these blocks, throughout the house and the ceilings, was a grey cementy type mix - powdery in some places but very hard in others - especially hard around the fireplace for some reason. I guess you have the same stuff - I would say it is just plaster or render and you dont need to worry too much unless its coming loose. When you really should consider replastering, as in my experience, once this stuff starts to go - it goes big time!!

My grey plaster had all hairs and stuff in it too in places - a real hotch-potch I can tell you.

I'm clearly not a builder by the way - just keen DIYer.

Sponsored Links
My house is also 1930's and walls appear to be sand/cement render beneath the plaster skim and horsehair... and also my internal partition walls are wooden frames that are bricked up within the frames. :eek:

In some places its gone hollow and is cracking quite bad, looks like it's now failed and is seperating from the brickwork - is this how bad yours got Stendec?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back