Old shower waste - should I replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower 'tray' seems to be made of concrete/terrazo. Looking underneath, the waste pipe appears to be solid (not plastic). Should I replace this with a modern waste pipe? My concern is that it may not cope with a lot of waste shower water and there is no trap.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• showerwaste.jpg
    showerwaste.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
Replace both while you can unless you are certain of their integrity

The tray seems a nice rare feature. Happy to replace the waste but just wondered if anyone has seen this existing type before?

Never seen that - can we have a pic of the shower from above. I assume the waste goes outside to a drain not a soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
This is what it's like from above.

The waste goes from the tray as a metal pipe then when it gets out, it appears to be plastic to a soil pipe.

Attachments

• showertray1.jpg
    showertray1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 161
Probably old inch or 1 1/4” copper waste. Could with a bit of fecking about use a Hepv0 trap in-line. But if replacing the whole waste then hard to say without looking.

With no trap and going to a soil pipe you will get smells from the drains - as said a Hep in line (waste valve) would work . I wouldn't try and remove the waste/pipe from the tray - that's a fitting I've not seen and I wouldn't try and get anything new to work . Cut the pipe, use Mac alpine universal coupling to convert to plastic, then the Hep VO then on to the existing plastic with another Mac.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back