old toyota

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any advice please
i have been offered a used camry 2.0 GLi Executive Estate 5d 1998cc auto 1990
at a price of £600 this will only be a second car used for trips to work and putting all my building materials in (trips to the builder centre etc)???
it is in good nick (no rust etc)
it is an auto so not sure of the fuel consumtion ?
also it has 124,000 on the clock, i have been told that the toyotas are reliable but will i be getting myself a car that will be trouble
any advice please
thanks

Sponsored Links
I presume you meant 1997 not 1977? ;)

You could try here although none of the reviews seem be be written by UK users it might give you some idea.

my mistake i think its a 1990, (only £600)
old but in excellent condition
just concrned about the milage and mpg
your link has no GLi models and none in england
would i be waisting my money ?

Don't pay more than £300. Sorry but thats what's it's worth.
At the end of the day it's up to you.

Sponsored Links
How about eBay for an idea of second hand value?

Or this link which has a couple similar to the one you describe at £495 and £995.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks for the info everyone,
had a look at the autotrader website it looks like its not a bad price as the condition is very good in and out.
just need to know what do you think about the milage (124,000)
is this to high ?
and what is the mpg
thanks again for the advice.

Personally I wouldn't go for it, some are bound to disagree, after all choice of car and brand loyalty is a personal thing.

If I was in your position with the same budget and looking for a reliable/economical work vehicle, firstly I'd be thinking French and diesel. Again personal preference but I don't believe you can beat the 1.9 diesel unit fitted in Citroens and Peugeots around that time, absolutely bullet-proof, they really do go on forever.

You'd probably get something a bit newer than a 1990 for the money as well. I reckon your £600 would get you a decent example of a Xantia or 405 estate on a 1994 L plate at the very oldest. I bought a 1996 P Xantia with 5 months T&T last year for £285! (not an estate or a diesel though)

Don't let people put you off with horror stories about Citroen suspension either, getting it fixed is only stupidly expensive if you're stupid enough to go to a main dealer. There's actually nothing to it and a complete overhaul is well within the scope of a DIYer with a spare afternoon.

Back