4x4 Purchase guidance rqd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I`m looking for some advice / info

I`m looking to get rid of the current Car (407sw) and get a medium sized 4x4 I`ve been looking at the following :-

Spec Auto , Petrol about a 58-60 plate

Either

Toyota Rav 4
Nissan X-Trail
Volkswagen Tiguan
Nissan Pathfinder (yes a bit larger)

or what would you Guys suggest ??

An info / experience of any of the above would be appreciated

Cheers

Lucky

IE Reliability , running costs etc

Sponsored Links
Mercedes ML Diesel, you will have to go slightly older and higher miles. But the neighbours love a Merc ................. :p
Most are 2.7L so watch the road tax and insurance band.
Audi Q5 but it will need to be accident damaged/repaired, to get one on the budget, or can you stretch yourself a bit?

We have an older X-Trail (the "T30" model). It's a '56 plate. If you went for a '58 plate you'd be looking at the T31 X-Trail - which is Renault engined. Ours is 100% Japanese but I have to say, has been quite troublesome. The best thing about the X-Trail for us, has been the forum:

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/

Best vehicle-specific motoring forum I've ever been on. Really friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

When we bought it, we looked at the RAV 4 but were put off by the claustrophobic interior (very narrow above the waistline) and the stupid sideways-opening rear door - which is a real pain if you're towing a trailer! Also, the UK ones don't open the full 90 degrees so it's hard to get things in and out of them even when you're not towing.

The X-Trail has been phenomenal on snow and ice, but not so good on mud (it's on road tyres though). They're also limited on ground clearance. It's an excellent tow car too, but it's not a Landrover by any stretch of the imagination. Quite a nice ride though. For us the perfect combination of comfort and practicality. The downside has been pretty fragile running gear. Brakes seize with monotonous regularity. Relatively cheap to fix but tiresome. If you get one with 17" alloy wheels you don't have a lot of choice for tyres and they're not cheap. Various suspension knocks have beset it during our ownership too. It has never "failed to proceed" though.

For all points, good and bad, check out Honest John, maybe?
I guess it depends on what you want it for......use on snow or heavy caravan towing?
Your choice will be limited if you insist on petrol power, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've got this thing ...................... it's a six seater convertible that'll go absolutely anywhere.
And it's called a Defender Wolf.

GVTgXev.jpg

The Wolf is a good motor but I think the OP is looking for something a bit less agricultural and possibly with independent rear suspension.

Also any landy without a V8 in it is utterly pointless. :D

The Wolf is a good motor but I think the OP is looking for something a bit less agricultural and possibly with independent rear suspension.

Also any landy without a V8 in it is utterly pointless. :D

It depends on whether or not you want the ability do pass a fuel station without having to pull in!
I got 40mpg when I took it to Scotland, mind you, I did leave the spare wheel at home! :D:D

The spare always was a problem with Landys. I like the look of them on the bonnet, but then it makes the bonnet like a bear trap, and small things like saloon cars in front can't be seen. :) Back door mount burgers the hinges, and is fun when the wind blows the door shut on you. Haven't seen one on the side like that before. Where do you rig the chain block to lift it up there? :)
Always had older petrol ones though. Fuel consumption was :eek:. The Series One we had used to seem to cost a fiver every time you took it out!
Apart from towing, or living somewhere where there was regular snow, I'd far rather have a normal car than an SUV. If I really needed to go offroad, then the Landy everytime.

The spare always was a problem with Landys. I like the look of them on the bonnet, but then it makes the bonnet like a bear trap, and small things like saloon cars in front can't be seen. :) Back door mount burgers the hinges, and is fun when the wind blows the door shut on you. Haven't seen one on the side like that before. Where do you rig the chain block to lift it up there? :)
Always had older petrol ones though. Fuel consumption was :eek:. The Series One we had used to seem to cost a fiver every time you took it out!
Apart from towing, or living somewhere where there was regular snow, I'd far rather have a normal car than an SUV. If I really needed to go offroad, then the Landy everytime.

Unfortunately it has to be lifted by hand!
On this particular model, code-named Wolf, the wheel musn't go on the bonnet as it's too heavy and will eventually bend the bonnet enough to damage the engine! It's also virtually impossible to lift the bonnet with the spare on it and I would NEVER lean into the engine bay with that bugger above my head!
It goes on the nearside, on RHD models, and the nearside door mirror is much longer to enable the driver to see around it!

Sponsored Links
Back