Olive does not hold plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some radiator valves which I connected to 15mm plastic pipes. The valves have olives with a semi-circular profile. When I did a pressure test, the valves got ejected from the pipes and flooded the area. Elsewhere, the connections have olives with a facetted profile and there were no leaks.

I have noticed that the facetted profile olive has a sharp edge that slightly bites into the plastic pipe, whereas the semi-circular olive does not. Is this the reason? If so, are they interchangeable and can I just replace the semi-circular olives with the facetted ones? Or any other suggestions?

I am always afraid to over-tighten the connections for fear of damaging them, as I have done a number of times.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you are using the correct inserts for the plastic and you should only use copper olives with plastic not brass ones. The shape doesn't matter as much.

Some of the copper olives have an asmetrical profile which is probably slightly better with plastic.

If you have those then I would used then with the nut against the steep angle.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Make sure you are using the correct inserts for the plastic and you should only use copper olives with plastic not brass ones. The shape doesn't matter as much.

As a matter of interest, why is this?

The brass olives are much harder and can cut into the pipes, most manufacturers instructions for plastic tell you not to ose them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back