On header tank for CH and hot water ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered that the bungalow that I have just moved into has just one header tank that serves both the central heating and the hot water cistern. So both expansion pipes discharge into it. It's been like this, I guess, since built in 1976.
Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the CH isn't a sealed system with an expansion vessel in the boiler?

It might otherwise be a primatic cylinder (Google). I'd change the cylinder and fit a separate header tank if it is.

If the CH is taking its cold feed from the cold water storage tank, it would cause huge corrosion problems.

Would not be unusual from that era , but wrong if it is as onetap says.
Can you trace the pipes one will go to top of cylinder.
With it being a bungalow someone may have added another vent to the hot supply because of airlock.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't aware of this type of system until onetap mentioned it. I was hoping to fit a power shower, but it seems that it not recommended for this type of set up.
The system looks susceptible to problems to me - but it's been OK since 1976, and as I'm only here for a year I'll leave well alone, and stick with the electric shower.

Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back