On/off/on/off - boiler won't make its mind up and we're COLD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folks can help put the warmth back into our place.

We've got a standard 60's-70's 3-bed semi, with a Potterton Suprima 50, radiators in every room, timer & tank in the airing cupboard and a room stat at the bottom of the stairs.

All rads have TRV's, system appears to have been well maintained by previous owners, pump is Wilo Gold RS50 set to 3 (max). Controller is a Drayton (no model number on it), looks reasonably modern.

Anyway, we have hot water OK, and the radiators get warm, pump runs, rads are bled, boiler seems to work... but the house stays much colder than it should be - my last place was constructed almost identically with a very similar but older system, but was always warm enough.

Today, as I've been at home all day I tinkered with the timer to set the CH to ON (HW OFF)... and nothing happened. Pump not run, boiler not start. So I poked about and found that the boiler was claiming a wiring fault to the pump (red light = wiring fault says the sticker).

A bit more poking and I found that when I set the HW to ON the system sprang to life and all was well with the world again...

BUT, watching the warning light on the boiler, it seems to be going in cycles - it will start, run, cut out, the pump runs on for a bit, stops, then starts again, round the loop again every ~2 minutes or so (literally the boiler runs for 1 minute max), on restarting the boiler warning light flashes red (for "lockout") but then clears of its own accord.

This seems to be happening all the time the system is on and might explain why, despite having the heating on, we never get toasty warm.

I'm qualified to wave a multimeter and pliers, although I'm not up to speed on the layout/wiring of heating systems. Is there stuff I can test/check/look at/adjust before we go on the hunt for a professional?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like (a combination of possibly a dying pcb board - and) a motorised valve not opening. Do you have one or two of those?
If it's not opening to CH then it'll just short-cycle once the HW is hot.

If you have a single, 3 port valve, I wrote a FAQ about it a few years ago.. You can force things until you sort it out, so you get warm... ;)

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/boiler-central-heating-faqs.175736/#1198061

Sponsored Links
Chris - yes there's a motorised 2-way (3-port) valve, I'll have a look at it see if it's working properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back