ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY - #2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY - OCT 5th
  • Ray Kroc (founder of McDonalds), Donald Pleasence, Bob Geldof and Michael Andretti were born.
  • Leonard Rossiter died.
  • Portugal became a republic, Edwin Hubble identified a variable star, The Beatles released "Love Me Do" and televangelist Jim Bakker was found guilty on 24 counts of fraud.
And 13 years ago, the following was posted to the comp.os.minix newsgroup:

[code:1] From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
        Subject: Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT
        Message-ID: [[email protected]]
        Date: 5 Oct 91 05:41:06 GMT
        Organization: University of Helsinki
        Do you pine for the nice days of minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote
their own device drivers? Are you without a nice project and just dying
to cut your teeth on a OS you can try to modify for your needs? Are you
finding it frustrating when everything works on minix? No more
all-nighters to get a nifty program working? Then this post might be just
for you :)
        As I mentioned a month(?) ago, I'm working on a free version of a
minix-lookalike for AT-386 computers. It has finally reached the stage
where it's even usable (though may not be depending on what you want),
and I am willing to put out the sources for wider distribution. It is
just version 0.02 (+1 (very small) patch already), but I've successfully
run bash/gcc/gnu-make/gnu-sed/compress etc under it.
        Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at nic.funet.fi
(128.214.6.100) in the directory /pub/OS/Linux.
        The directory also contains some README-file and a couple of binaries to
work under linux (bash, update and gcc, what more can you ask for :).
Full kernel source is provided, as no minix code has been used. Library
sources are only partially free, so that cannot be distributed currently.
The system is able to compile "as-is" and has been known to work. Heh.
Sources to the binaries (bash and gcc) can be found at the same place in
/pub/gnu.[/code:1]

Sponsored Links
On this day 5th October 2004 ban all sheds posted some really, really, really, really interesting facts on the tinternet :eek:

jasy said:
On this day 5th October 2004 ban all sheds posted some really, really, really, really interesting facts on the tinternet :eek:
Well, you're right about the facts being really interesting, although I don't know why you should be shocked by me making that post - you aren't the only person in the world who understands the significance of Linux, and finds wry amusement in Linus Torvalds' statements at the time about it just being a hobby, and how it will never support anything other than AT drives for example.

Sponsored Links
PS - if any moderator is reading this, can they please explain why they moved a post about software to the General Chat forum - must be one of the most brain-dead decisions ever made, even by the standards of discussion board moderators....

Holy thread resurrection!
Well, on Good Friday, 1998, Ulster found a way to agree (to disagree) and sign an agreement which has mostly kept the peace for 25 years.

"The Good Friday Agreement is one of the most successful peace agreements ever negotiated. It ended decades of conflict, but the path to peace wasn’t easy – and many thought it would never happen."

On accepting his Nobel Peace Prize, the former SDLP leader John Hume said people persevered for peace ‘so that our children could look to the future with a smile of hope'. The Good Friday Agreement has the greatest impact on the generation born immediately after its signing – a generation now coming of age.

Labour.org

...and the gap between the OP and now, is longer than the duration Linux had been in existence at the time! :)

With the likes of the Linux kernel based ChromeOS, could this 32 year old OS, actually be classed as mainstream? ;)

A day late, but yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the air crash in the mountains near Basel, Switzerland. The Vickers Vanguard 952 had taken off from Bristol (Lulsgate) Airport, destination Basel. My headmaster was on it and managed to walk down the mountain to get help.

Last edited:
Happy Easter folks. On this day in history Jesus rose and said no to the original lockdown.

IMG-20230409-WA0001.jpg

Mount Tambora erupted on this day in 1815, one of the most powerful explosions in history, killing approximately 70,000 people and causing a global volcanic winter...Europe had one of the wettest summers on record, ruining crops and Napoleon's chances of retaking power in France. The wet ground around the battlefield of Waterloo made his notorious cannon sink into the mud, and reduced the cannonballs firepower. Still, it was "the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life," as Wellington remarked to a colleague after the battle.

Sponsored Links
Back