one cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i have a problem with my downstairs living room radiator......it is the only radiator in the house which is not working properly.

it is heating up at the top but not at the bottom and even the top part heating is intermittent.

i have one thermostat for the whole house......it is up at a reasonable temperature allowing all the other radiators in the house to be on and hot.

last night i tried to bleed the radiator but no air came out.......some black liquid came out and since then it has been running clear.

unfortuneately when i closed it though it hasn't stopped dripping.......my husband has tightened it and i think if it is tightened any further the whole thing would come off the wall.......this morning i got up to the floor being totally flooded.....and the radiator is still only heating up at the top and now it is lukewarm.

don't know quite what to do but really want to avoid having to get out a plumber or getting a new radiator.......any tips!!!!

Rose :confused:

Sponsored Links
start by shutting the lockshield and valve at the other end, at least this will prevent the water leaking, although you don't actually say where it leaking from. If its from the bleed point then you may have to buy a new end cap, fairly cheap and can be fitted as long as the valves at each end are closed.

thanks nstreet i will try that.....yes it is leaking from the bleed point where it was loosened and then tightened again.........have started looking at prices for new radiators though...... :( think i'm just going to have to get one.....

thanks again

Rose :)

Sponsored Links
roseymac said:
have started looking at prices for new radiators though...... :( think i'm just going to have to get one..
You don't have to unless it's bad.You can buy a collar + bleed valve to put in your exsisting radiator.Sounds like you have sludge on the bottom of the radiator which is the reason you're not getting heat at the bottom.You need to take the radiator outside and flush it out with a hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back