One for notchy...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Linky Linky

"Dominic Raab has been ridiculed after saying he “hadn’t quite understood” the importance of cross-Channel trade to the UK economy.

The extraordinary admission came as the Brexit secretary also warned shoppers to expect less choice of goods if leaving the EU damages the trade route from France.”

Sponsored Links
context is everything..

“I hadn’t quite understood the full extent of this, but if you look at the UK and look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing,” he said.
“And that is one of the reasons why we have wanted to make sure we have a specific and very proximate relationship with the EU, to ensure frictionless trade at the border.”

“And that is one of the reasons why we have wanted to make sure we have a specific and very proximate relationship with the EU, to ensure frictionless trade at the border.”
as you say, he (now?) accepts that "no deal" would be a calamity.

How many other Quitters have accepted that?

The FT also said, tactfully but pointedly:

"But the Brexiters in cabinet are also coming to realise that, through sheer lack of preparation, “no deal” is no longer a viable option and they are in effect snookered. This is the significance of the comment by Dominic Raab last night when he confirmed that the choice of goods available to buy in British shops would be hit unless the UK maintains frictionless trade at the French border.

As the Brexit Secretary said (
reported by Jack Blanchard in the Politico London Playbook): “I hadn’t quite understood the full extent of this, but if you look at the UK and look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing.”

(Incidentally, the huge significance of the Dover-Calais strait for UK trade was brought out in graphic detail on page 12 of this Institute for Government report some 14 months ago.)"

Sponsored Links
And that is one of the reasons why we have wanted to make sure we have a specific and very proximate relationship with the EU, to ensure frictionless trade at the border.”

We have no gripe with these French traders who's livelihoods will be damaged by those who's wealth will not be affected.

We can put up with a British cheese or a Chilean red, an Irish Onion.
Not the end of the world...
These poor sods lifes on the French side will be turned upside down

alas, the Quitters refuse to take reality seriously.

ride off on your unicorn, bodd.

alas, the Quitters refuse to take reality seriously.

ride off on your unicorn, bodd.

Are you telling me we life will be a bitch if we can't have our favourite French pickle. The producers of that French Pickle may hurt a little more however

I predicted this. ‘tis why I was up for accelerated exit. No deal should have been our starting position day 1.

Personally I think it’s all a ruse to sell the deal.

These poor sods lifes on the French side will be turned upside down
Nope, they'll just sell their wares to the rest of the EU instead - tariff free...

Or to the Japanese, or all the other nations that the EU has concluded trade deals with - tariff free...

So do tell us what tariff free trade deals the UK has lined up?

Oh but that's right - quitters didn't actually understand the implications!

At least notchy has admitted his error.
I wonder how long it will take for others to realise the complexity of the problem they have chosen to inflict on the UK?

I predicted this. ‘tis why I was up for accelerated exit. No deal should have been our starting position day 1.

Personally I think it’s all a ruse to sell the deal.
So since the result you predict will not be the Brexit you wanted, can we assume you will be calling for a vote on that deal?

Nope, they'll just sell their wares to the rest of the EU instead - tariff free...

Or to the Japanese, or all the other nations that the EU has concluded trade deals with - tariff free...

Why would they not be doing that now ???

Why would they not be doing that now ???
Because it is more convenient to sell 'locally'?

However if 'locally' (i.e the UK) becomes a hostile market, then they have a fall back option.

But more to the point is why are we not doing the same?

Oh, but of course I forgot - the dumb quitters believe we can get 'better' deals that the trariff free ones we are entitled to operate under via the EU :LOL:

context is everything..

“I hadn’t quite understood the full extent of this, but if you look at the UK and look at how we trade in goods, we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing,” he said.

Is this better context?

"Once they enter the workplace, the British are among the worst idlers in the world".

Raab not a real fan of the British worker.

Sponsored Links
Back