One for the drain guys - who's liable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@HERTS P&D , @Hugh Jaleak and others...

Got a mate who has a shared drive.
He has one sewer, his neighbour the other.
Running down the middle, between them is what he believes is a rainwater drain that serves the property/properties that back onto him.
It's collapsed and he wants to know if its Thames' responsibility.

I think it is.
What says you guys?

Tah muchly.

Sponsored Links
I would say so, but watch Thames wriggle out of it.

I went to a customer last week who was at the end of a run of 4 houses, her patio had dipped and she called out a surveyor who suggested a drain cctv. I went round to find a completly failed joint. She called Thames and they came out when she was at work and told her there was nothing wrong, I told her to send them my video and ask to explain it.

Andy

I would say so, but watch Thames wriggle out of it.

I went to a customer last week who was at the end of a run of 4 houses, her patio had dipped and she called out a surveyor who suggested a drain cctv. I went round to find a completly failed joint. She called Thames and they came out when she was at work and told her there was nothing wrong, I told her to send them my video and ask to explain it.

Andy

Looks like you'll be doing this one too buddy! (y)

Sponsored Links
Bottom line is, any drain/sewer that takes more than one property, provided it connects to a Public sewer, (not a Septic Tank/private package plant), is the Water Co's responsibility. They dont like admitting to anything that might cost them money, but the tide is shifting slowly.

They're courting enough bad press as it is, focus is now on Pollution's, and whilst admittedly its a rainwater drain, they may take a more proactive view if shamed publicly about a lack of action....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back