Blocked rainwater drains on pre-1937 house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have moved into a new house and discovered that 2 of the 3 rainwater drains are blocked by root ingress. One has collapsed.

As far as I know, the rainwater drains into the foul sewer. This is what the survey said and would be consistent with traps on each rainwater drain.

I've had a peek under the manhole cover and there's one inlet that I think must be coming from next door - there is nothing on my property that would explain that, and... the angle of inlet is just right for it to be next door's rainwater.

I'm not sure about the exact year of construction of this house - all I know is that it's '1930s'. However it has solid walls so possibly before 1937.

I have read that where 2 properties share a drain and they were built before 1937 then the drain is the responsibility of the water board (Thames water in this case).

Can anyone provide more information/tips as to how I could proceed?

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back