Rainwater drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - apologies if this is a rambling post - I have a few questions about rainwater drainage - any advice is much appreciated.

My property has a number of issues with rainwater drainage - largely because it sits on clay soil, and has a number of inadequate soak-aways in too small an area. This has created three problems which need solving for:

1) Half of the back garden (10x8 feet) is paved, with decking over the paving (it was originally ALL paved, but we ripped up and turfed half of it). The drainage for the paved area consists of a channel drain that runs along where the paving meets the house - however this just runs to a soak-away that sits under the turfed area of the garden (10x10 postage stamp of grass). It sits about 1m (or less) from the property wall.

2) Behind the garden there is a large single garage (20x9 feet) - the rainwater which falls on this is channelled to the same soak-away in the back garden.

3) Next to the garage, there is a concrete hard-standing roughly the same size as the garage. The property next door (uphill) has an adjacent hard-standing of their own - and the only provision for draining for the whole area (mine and theirs) is a soak-away on my property that drains to...you've guessed it by now - the same tiny soak-away in my little garden.

As you can imagine, with all that area draining to the same place, and with clay soil, the back garden very quickly becomes a pond, typically getting 1-2 inches under water before it reaches a level where it can run downhill (into other next-door's garden!).

Now I know that there is a stormwater drain that runs under my garden, and I was wondering how I go about getting permission to connect to this in order to prevent the persistent garden flooding that I see - do I just approach the water company? And how likely are they to agree? Do they have a choice? The only alternative at the moment is to lay channels that send the water downhill (towards my neighbour - who already has problems of her own)

Finally - I have the option this year to move the garage (it's only a pre-fab job) to one side - effectively covering my half of the hard-standing. Before doing so, I'd like to lay a new base in order to slightly elevate the floor of the garage (to prevent it filling up in times of rain), but this would then leave my neighbours with their hard-standing having no drainage at all - what are my obligations here? Am I obliged to provision for their surface-water drainage as the current solution (such as it is) sends it over to my property?

Sponsored Links
Why dont you condense your post to just a few question & a min of detail?

Why dont you condense your post to just a few question & a min of detail?

Sure - I wasn't sure if the context was necessary or not - if not;

1) What permissions are needs to connect into a stormwater drain?
2) When constructing a new garage - am I obligated to provision of rainwater drainage from adjoining properties - specifically if the current situation is that their rainwater drains onto my land.

Thanks

You will need to speak to the Water Company, it's likely to be their drain. If they allow you to connect you may need Planning or Building Regs approval too, and the Water Co may insist you use one of their 'Approved Contractors' to make the connection.

Normally properties are expected to accept natural flow of water from higher land, but if this is being created artificially then it may be a different matter, this question possibly better asked on a site such as 'Gardenlaw'. Although to keep relations civil, if you're making a connection to a sewer then couldn't you couple next doors drainage into it at the same time?

Sponsored Links
thanks Hugh

Although to keep relations civil, if you're making a connection to a sewer then couldn't you couple next doors drainage into it at the same time?

In the event that I could get permission to connect to the sewer, then this is what I would look to do - the problem really only comes if I can't get permission, as trying to absorb "their" rainwater as well as my own is contributing to the current overload.

Current situation is more awkward, if you were to block their flow, it'll still find it's way onto your property, so the existing problem would still manifest. I don't see an issue with connecting to the sewer, you have to prove other options have been discounted, and if a soakaway isn't viable (or an existing soakaway isn't coping) then the next step is to look to connection to a sewer.

You're probably already paying a charge for rainwater disposal so may as well get value for money! I just connected my garage gutter to the sewer and didn't tell anyone. :LOL:

You're probably already paying a charge for rainwater disposal so may as well get value for money!

I suspect so - the guttering from the house roof runs into the stormwater drain - as does the conservatory - it's the garage (and paved part of the garden) that are overloading the clay soil

I just connected my garage gutter to the sewer and didn't tell anyone. :LOL:

The thought had crossed my mind - but rather plays things "by the book" if I can.

Then talk hypothetically to Southern Water = give now't away ;)

That puts a different slant on things IMO. If you already have rainwater drainage on your property, and those drains only serve your property (up to the point they connect into the public sewer), then they are legally your drains.

You can give yourself permission to connect into your own drains, and I wouldn't be telling anyone then, even hypothetically! :LOL:

the stormwater drain that runs under my garden isn't solely for my property - it's a trunk that services a number of houses - I don't know what that means in terms of ownership, but I'm guessing I need to speak with the water co before tapping into it.

Thanks everyone for your advice - has been invaluable.

I am assuming there would be a drain (or drains) branching off this main to your house gutters etc? These, provided they only drain your house, are your pipes. Join to one of those and dont worry about it. ;)

If you must connect to the main, then it will be necessary to tell someone I'm afraid. :( It serves a number of houses, once any drain connects with a second property it becomes shared, and in the majority of cases, in the eyes of the law, it then becomes the Water Company's asset.

Connecting to the Storm Drain is the obvious answer - there shouldn't be any issue with getting permission from the Water Company. I'm intrigued about the Soakaway though - is it an old style hardcore pit or a new water crate soakaway? The reason I ask is that new soakaways are very efficient, providing the ground isn't clay or has a high water table. A 1m³ soakaway will hold 1000 litres of water. If your ground is good soil you could in theory replace the soakaway if it is old and make it larger, or even install an additional one fairly cheaply.

It's an old style one, and the soil is definitely clay - when it rains reasonably hard, the entire garden (only about 10x13 feet) fills up - underneath the turf / topsoil layer, it's effectively a basin of clay. When the level in this "basin" reached that of the path at the side, it flows over that. Somewhere I have a photo of what happened when we had it dug out prior to turfing - it was effectively a duck pond.

And coming back to the drains - sadly the down-pipe from the roof gutters is shared with next door, so there's nothing uniquely mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back